1.6 Pinto and IVA

codo

Hi Guys,
I'm hopefully going to get going with my build again after it stalled and wasn't sure if I would still get through the IVA using the 1.6 Pinto.

It's a totally standard engine, so wasn't sure what work I would need to get it through any emissions tests and also if I'd be able to run it using the new E10 Unleaded fuel. I have a feeling this is so old it would have struggled on the old E5, so would need hardened value seals as a minimum?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to get down the line and find this will be a massive issue.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi. I also have a 1.6 pinto. I'm not 100%sure about the iva but I believe due to the age on the engine it will be smoke test only. Someone may correct me though. I haven't got the Iva manual.

E10 will only effect fuel system parts like fuel lines and rubber gaskets in the carb. Hopefully you are fitting e10 compliant fuel lines. Remember super unleaded is still e5 so you can use that to be safe and it gives a bit more performance.

I use lead substitutes in my unleaded fuel. The engine has done many thousands of miles and shows no sign of regression to the valve seats. I'll get them done if a problem appears. Also I don't do many high speed long distance stuff which causes most issues if they aren't hardened. Have you checked it hasn't got the unleaded stamps by no4 exhaust port? (M,MM,N OR NN) I think some of the late ones were converted according to the Haynes manual.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Think it's down to when it was registered for emissions. 
 Mines was registered August 2002, so it's based on the engine. After September 1st 2002, it's different.
 Stolen from Pistonheads, credit to Paul S. (I'd read it on a .gov site before, but can't find it again)

Screenshot-2019-08-09-16-05-29.png

• 4 months later...

Mine is a 1989 1.6 pinto, failed emissions when I went for Iva recently  and he checked for smoke so I would get it checked beforehand if I was you. Also I would recommend you download the Iva manual from the government web site and go through it throughly. There is also a guide to passing Iva on gov.co.uk. Take loads of pictures of the stuff you can’t see. Its a long day and expect the unexpected, I was asked for pictures of applying lock tight to brake components (callipers and servo) and seatbelt fixings so be prepared. Good luck 🤞