New member - RH S7 Triumph based

Tgill

spacer.pngHi all,

I just joined the forum and have recently rescued an early (i believe) RH S7 which is based on a Triumph spitfire with the 1433cc engine with a 4 speed gearbox. 

The car has been sat up for a number of year and does require a good bit of work to get it running again. 

First thing is to get the engine running but its possible seized so replacement will need to be sourced. 

Anyway further updates will be provided soon 

Why don't you get yourself to Stoneleigh kit car show this weekend. A good opertunity to see lots of different RH/GBS cars and have a chat with club members. Not 2 cars the same and loads of ideas to inspire..... hopefully!

Dave.

4 hours ago, HAWKNORTH said:

Why don't you get yourself to Stoneleigh kit car show this weekend. A good opertunity to see lots of different RH/GBS cars and have a chat with club members. Not 2 cars the same and loads of ideas to inspire..... hopefully!

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I won't make it this year but thanks for heads up 

29 minutes ago, richyb66 said:

Very interested in seeing more of this. Didn't know of any Spitfire based RH's just Dolomite. I see you have Dolly Sprint wheels.

I believe the engine/gearbox and front suspension is from the spitfire and the rear is the dolomite (and possible lsd) again im still finding things out as I go along. The v5 just says triumph and no model. Thankfully its registered as a 78 so no tax/mot required.

I started stripping the interior this evening as the wood/dials had seen better days. I plan on using an acrylic dash and aftermarket dials.  The next issue is trying to find full height bucket seats that fit - max 38cm width

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Tgill

6 hours ago, IanS said:

If your V5 says Triumph I suspect that it is not legal.

Topic https://www.rhocar.org/index.php?/forums/topic/50042-thinking-of-buying-a-kit-car-read-this-first/#comment-408677

Better check before spending much more.

Thanks Ian, I did read up on that before and the previous owner did mention it. I'm personally going to drive as is (eventually) and take my chance. If it was a Ford Sierra based kit then it would be obvious to most that it was not a sierra but the fact most people don't know what a  Triumph looks like I might get away with it and also no mot required (based on year of donor vehicle) so I don't have to worry about inspections. I know its not technically above board at all but hopefully as a weekend car I can get away with it. 

If this is the original V5 issued to Triumph when the donor was manufactured, surely it would have had a model specified.
The fact that it doesnt suggests to me that it may be replacement issued when the S7 was first put on the road, maybe even pre SVA?
I dont recall what DVLA required pre-SVA. But it seems that it was all a bit wooly. Would it automatically have been given a Q plate?
Check the DVLA site for MOT or tax status using your REG no. I think it should show make and model.

Edited by Bob Tucker

51 minutes ago, Bob Tucker said:

If this is the original V5 issued to Triumph when the donor was manufactured, surely it would have had a model specified.
The fact that it doesnt suggests to me that it may be replacement issued when the S7 was first put on the road, maybe even pre SVA?
I dont recall what DVLA required pre-SVA. But it seems that it was all a bit wooly. Would it automatically have been given a Q plate?
Check the DVLA site for MOT or tax status using your REG no. I think it should show make and model.

This is the details on the dvla site. The last vosa was 2011 and last taxed feb 08. 

spacer.png

A brief update. I drained the carbs, installed a fresh battery, fresh fuel and the engine fired into life briefly it cuts out after a few seconds. I have removed the hu carbs and they seem in good condition but I will install a gasket set and baseline them. 

Check for air leaks anywhere in the inlet side. Gaskets can perish, but especially any rubber pipes, such as servo vacuum pipe, positive crankcase pressure vent systems, and vacuum driven ignition advance pipes between manifold and dizzy.