Looking for a garage/mechanic recommendations (Cambridgeshire)

nzjrs

Hi,

My 2B (Zetec, Weber 45s) has stopped running. Started sounded sick at the end of a run a couple of weekends ago. Was barely idling and coasted home. Would warm start but now can't start. I checked the fuel system and it seems OK. It won't fire up at all.

I've reached the limit of my knowledge. Does anyone have any recommendations for Garages or private folks willing to take a look at it. Happy to pay.

John

Where in cambs are you? I did use a chap near to me who is a genius but he has moved although still local but I can't get hold of him at the moment. No good talking it to a normal garage you need someone with a bit of old school knowledge 

3 minutes ago, kevin the chicken said:

Where in cambs are you? I did use a chap near to me who is a genius but he has moved although still local but I can't get hold of him at the moment. No good talking it to a normal garage you need someone with a bit of old school knowledge 

Exactly yeah.

I'm south of Cambridge (Sawston) but am happy to take it anywhere really. Please send me a message if you get hold of him, much appreciated.

Sorry no joy so far. Have you checked more than one plug to see if it smells of fuel after you have tried to start it, ie no1 and no4? It won't start on one carb. I had a needle valve stick and thought I was getting fuel to all four cylinders but actually it was only two. I'll ask my mate tonight and if he's interested we could pop over one evening, 

• 2 weeks later...

Yay it lives again. Summary after the last couple of weekends.

Weekend 1:

• compression test - aborted. Zetec needs an adapter in order to get the cheaper testers deep in the engine. Note for others, example adapter https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/sealey-vs200-a-long-reach-compression-tester-adaptor-zetec
  • poked around a lot more. sparkplugs were getting wet and some fuel visible in the carbs, less so on 3/4 but still fuel getting there. some garbage in the carb fuel filters, but nothing too much? anyway, cleaned it out

Weekend 2:

• compression test, all looks good. Dry, the 4 cylinders were 124, 125, 124, 124. Didn't bother with a wet test as this was normal AFAICT.
  • took the carbs apart and cleaned out everything I could using carb cleaner spray, and without disassembling anything that would result in me needing to re-tune them. After cleaning and re-assembly I manually put a few tablespoons of fuel in the reservoir in the carbs under the floats - and SHE STARTED
  • decided to therefor look a lot more into the fuel system. worked our how many L/min it should be for my fuel pump (3.5psi), disconnected the carb end and turned it on to see the flow rate. Hmm, about 20% what it should be and kind of irregular.
  • took the fuel pump off, not much to look at (it was a https://www.osiaspart.com/OSIAS-inline-diesel-fuel-pump) but evidently it wasn't working well. Checked the lines were otherwise clear

Weekend 3:

Weekend 4:

So, TLDR; fuel pump blocked/failed/died and then a lot of tail chasing as I worked out what was going on. Probbably for the best as at least the new everything will handle E gas better.

Good work. I often solve problems by just walking away when stumped and having a good think about it before returning. Not always though! The Weber's need a low pressure but high flow rate, I think its only 2.5 to 3psi so it might be worth slotting a regulator into the system as close to the carbs as possible. Too much pressure and they will leak from every gasket!

Kevin, interesting thanks, I'll try and find a regulator with a filter I guess, mounting that near the carbs might be good to kill two birds with one stone. Maybe it's worth replacing the top cover gasket too as I see it's only $5.