Number application

RH2BJS

Hi,

we are currently building our car up and it will need a IVA test once completed. 

My first step is to apply for a VIN number and stamp it onto the chassis.

I know some people have made their own up but have read that isn't allowed anymore and  to apply to the DVLA for one.

I have tried searching the forum and couldnt find a upto date address to send for one from the DVLA. 

If anyone can tell me the address for the application and what details they require when I write to them?

Many thanks

2 hours ago, richyb66 said:

Thanks for your reply, so If I send DVLA a email with my name, address and a request for the vin number I should be able to get one from them.

What kind of details do I need to give them in my email about my build?

my last correspondence with DVLA was via 'online chat', I found this useful and gave me an exact path to follow, may save some time and angst as to where exactly to send to, just a thought and you can save the conversation just in case.

• Like 1

FYI, following the recent posts on this thread last week, I sent a simple email to DVLA using the address above and today received a big brown envelope with a letter allocating the VIN number for my kit, plus a registration application form. So I can confirm the current process for the VIN is very simple and efficient!

My email was sent to dvlavin@dvla.gov.uk

Content of my email as below

I am currently in the process of an amateur kit car build, using a Robin Hood 2B kit as the basis, that will be submitted for IVA testing in due course.

I would therefore like to apply for a DLVA assigned VIN to allocate to the chassis - please can you advise the correct process for this?

Many Thanks

Include full name and address.

Chris

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As suggested by Chris, I sent an email at the end of May to DVLA requesting  a VIN and I have received a formal reply with various forms and the allocated VIN number today. Not bad just on 2 weeks. Now that I have this I have a number of questions which I hope some one can help with

- DVLA request that the dealer or local garage confirm and sign a declaration which is part of the letter I received that  the VIN is correctly stamped  or embossed in the chassis, is this something to worry about or is it checked as part of the IVA inspection and signed by the inspector.

- As for the VIN marking how is the best way to do this, do you stamp an area on a stainless chassis tube or is there another way that might be easier as I am not sure how easy it is to stamp a stainless steel tube or  what are  the best stamps to use.

Steve D 

Have a look at the current IVA manual, section 18. (I some copy info below) , I took my car to a local garage and had them stamp the VIN into the flat floor pan near the drivers side edge. Also I had them stamp the VIN onto a similar thicknes piece if SS (2mm I think) which I then fashioned into a little plate that I pop riveted onto the bulkhead near the battery, so it is easily readable when the bonnet is off. Read the manual, the "main" plate has to be fixed pretty permanently, If I had a tubular construction I would not try and stamp the crved surface, I would stamp a plate and then weld it to a piece of the tube on RHS (as viewed from behind) near the drivers thigh area so that it can easily be uncovered for inspection, like pulling a flap of carpet back.

18 Statutory Plates
7. The Stamped in VIN must be marked on the chassis, frame or other
similar structure which is not easily removable, on the right hand side
of the vehicle when viewed from the rear (see Notes 6, 8, 9 & 12).
8. The Stamped in VIN must be placed in a clearly visible and accessible
position by a method such as hammering, stamping, etching (metal
chassis) or embossed, moulded into the structure (glass fibre or
carbon fibre chassis) so that it cannot be obliterated or deteriorate.
9. The VIN number must consist of 17 digits with the information shown
in a single line (except for mass-produced vehicles where the use of
two lines is permissible) (see Note 7).
10. Capital letters and numerals must be used for the VIN
11. There must not be any gaps large enough to insert extra characters
between the characters for the VIN shown on the manufacturer’s plate
or stamped into the vehicle (see Note 4).
12. The Vehicle Identification Number on the manufacturer’s plate must
be marked in characters at least 3.5mm high.
13. The characters on the manufacturer’s plate (with the exception of the
Vehicle Identification Number) must be at least 2 mm high
14. The characters used for the VIN stamped into the chassis, frame or
other similar structure must be at least 3.5mm high.
15. Use of the letter I, the letter O, the letter Q, dashes, asterisks and
other special signs are not permitted (see Note 10)

On 6/15/2022 at 2:29 PM, steve1506 said:

As suggested by Chris, I sent an email at the end of May to DVLA requesting  a VIN and I have received a formal reply with various forms and the allocated VIN number today. Not bad just on 2 weeks. Now that I have this I have a number of questions which I hope some one can help with

- DVLA request that the dealer or local garage confirm and sign a declaration which is part of the letter I received that  the VIN is correctly stamped  or embossed in the chassis, is this something to worry about or is it checked as part of the IVA inspection and signed by the inspector.

- As for the VIN marking how is the best way to do this, do you stamp an area on a stainless chassis tube or is there another way that might be easier as I am not sure how easy it is to stamp a stainless steel tube or  what are  the best stamps to use.

Steve D 

Don't worry about that first point - it gets checked at IVA.

For the plate itself, get the VIN engraved onto a metal plate (I literally took the metal piece to a key cutting shop) and then weld it on to the chassis somewhere visible/accessible. Mine was welded to the rail that the bonnet sits on (GBS leave a gap in the side panel especially for this), so very easy to see.

(I would like to point out that I don't weld - a kind member (thanks Bob) did it for me 😁).

Gents thanks for your responses.

I think I will stamp the VIN number in the location I am showing in the photo as it will be very visible when the bonnet is off and the nose conetilts forward as it will be hinged. I think it pretty much meets the regs, do you agree  I will of course also fit a plate on the firewall but that will be riveted on.

Steve D

IMG_2200.thumb.jpg.3fbf08f10c7dfab8ed5303e8061e0315.jpg

• Like 1

Please see my above post:- 7. The Stamped in VIN must be marked on the chassis, frame or other
similar structure which is not easily removable, on the right hand side
of the vehicle when viewed from the rear (see Notes 6, 8, 9 & 12).

Your suggested place looks like middle front to me.

Thanks for the comment I read this statement but I think the relationship to the rear is misleading as I think it relates to locating on the off side of the car. I agree that my pic shows the middle of the beam but I can position the vin further across

Steve D

So it looks like it could be anywhere as long as its on something fundamentaly attached to the chassis. What I also meant to say was, that when the VIN was punched into the floor panel a metal "dolly" was placed on the underside, otherwise along with the VIN the panel would have a nice dent/depression. You might be thinking of an engraving, but if you do have a punched VIN on that cross member, that nice flat surfaced cross member, be careful not to create a dent. Sorry if this sounds patronising, it's not intended.