Unable to select gear

rory Cosgrove

It sounds like the clutch cable is not correctly adjusted - if you've got the sierra pedal box it should auto adjust so you'll need to check that the quadrant mechanism is OK.  If you've got something different it may have a manual adjustment.  Post what sort of clutch set up you've got and somebody will probably be able to give a better answer.  Where abouts are you? there may be someone near to you willing to have a look for tea and biscuits !!

Steve

Im not sure on the setup i belive it maybe a superspec as it manily stainless steel bodywork folded to make a chasis, however is first registred in 98.

Ive attched some photos of the top of the pedal bos and the connection to clutch plate if these are anyhelp. 

Im located in Teesside area if there is someone willing to take a look let me know! Cheers rory 

20220510_185750.jpg

20220510_185747.jpg

20220510_185918.jpg

Definitely not a Superspec.  The Superspec has a tubed stainless steel chassis like all the 2B models.   Yours sounds like it has a monocoque chassis which was used in earlier models like the S3A, S7, Exmo…

and I agree you probably need to adjust the cable to bring the bite point up.  I assume at the moment the bite point is right at the bottom of the clutch pedal travel so that when you push the pedal to the floor it isn’t fully releasing the clutch.  Use the 2 nuts shown in your picture to tighten the cable a bit and reduce the slack in the cable.

As Alan says ...........

It looks like you've got a pinto engine and type9 gearbox, but not the sierra pedalbox.  Tighten the outer of the cable up a bit until there is just a tiny bit of slack on the inner and you should be back in business.

From bitter experience...

Make sure the inner cable is free in the outer especially when the outer is compressed as it will be in use.

I bought a new cable a few years ago which was free until the outer was compressed when it locked up solid.

Reason I ask is that I had a mechanical pump do what you describe. Pumped OK cold and not very well when hot.

New pump was an easy fix but it had swarf in it and cleaning this out of the system was a longish job.

9 hours ago, IanS said:

Reason I ask is that I had a mechanical pump do what you describe. Pumped OK cold and not very well when hot.

New pump was an easy fix but it had swarf in it and cleaning this out of the system was a longish job.

Just currentley have the original mechanical pump attched to the engine, is it worth updating this to an electric on or replacing with a like for like ?