Pinto emissions fail

magh

Afternoon all unfortunately the kit failed it’s mot last week one of which was emissions the co failed at I think around 4.7 when it has to be under 3.5

its been stood over a year for various reasons and it’s running r1 carbs. When it was set up by Bogg brothers I think it was 2.8 or something. 

I’ve cleaned the carbs and put new plugs in and slightly turned the air fuel mixture screws for idle. Sadly as it has no mot i can’t drive it to get them set up and the mot garage won’t touch the carbs. I’m back in the morning for a retest and just wondered as it’s unburnt fuel causing the issue would increasing the idle speed help at all along with me already lowering the a/f mixture screws or would the increase in revs create more vacuum and jn return pull more fuel anyway? Thanks all

i would suggest leaving it running on the drive for a little bit ensure that anything that is unburnt is either burnt or ejected. For my MOT (i have a superspec with Rover engine) to get it through emissions has to run hot so make sure its arrived just in time for the MOT with the engine already at temperature. 

IN other words let it get nice and toasty before it goes in

On your V5c what emission limits are stated? Mine has nothing so I think should be just a visible smoke test. Sometimes my mot place take a reading and tell me off as it’s too lean, but on my sheet it says the limit is 4.5 for CO. Not 3.5 I’ve got R1 carbs, mains are 1.7 but not sure on the idles, I should put bigger ones in.

its a pinto btw.

Edited by Peter Bell

I’m going to check the v5 in the morning but I’m 99% certain it’s listed on there. 

I do I have a pipercross px600 filter I did think about leaving it off to allow as much air into them as possible 

• 5 weeks later...