Timing (maybe

zhap135

Hello all. 

1.6 sierra pinto, PC project, venturi carb.

Engine runs , but barely sustains tick over unless given a bit of throttle, and even then....  Very little torque/power.

HAve had a timing light on the pulley, but get some very odd readings off that - the grades are rarely orientated even close to the marker on flash.

I think the mix is okay (but not even certain about that), and I have never changed/moved the timing/dizzy (although I couldn't guarantee that the previous owner didn't mess/move it)

Any tips on where to start?

Edited by zhap135

1 hour ago, IanS said:

Ford venturi carb was not very good and does not age well.

Replace with dgav off a 2l pinto, someone is bound to have one kicking arround after an upgrade.

hanks Ian - can well believe that, although managed to pick up service kit a year or so back, and replaced all the perishable parts.

With teh DGAV, is there anything I should particularly be looking for, or si a DGAV from a 2l a straight swap? I'm seeign 32/36 a lot, which I think is suitable for an engine like mine

Edited by zhap135

Hi Andy,
the DGAV is a good carb, and will work, although it may be a bit big for a 1.6. so you may need to change some of the jets, but it will be a big improvement over Ford's VV carb. Unfortunately, you will also need a matching manifold. The DGAV carb will not fit on a VV manifold, the bolt spacing is different.
It sounds like the ignition timing is out. it needs to fire about 8-12 degrees BTDC at tickover. The flash will be irregular at tickover, so set it to a fast tickover first, to check your strobe, then reduce it.

There is a deeper mark on the crank pulley for TDC. Turn the engine anti clockwise about 1/2 to 1 inch. You should see 2, 3, or4 smaller grooves. These are the timing marks probably at 8, 10 and 12 degrees BTDC.
A haynes manual describes setting timing very well. You may be able to find one on line if you dont have one.

2 hours ago, Bob Tucker said:

Hi Andy,
the DGAV is a good carb, and will work, although it may be a bit big for a 1.6. so you may need to change some of the jets, but it will be a big improvement over Ford's VV carb. Unfortunately, you will also need a matching manifold. The DGAV carb will not fit on a VV manifold, the bolt spacing is different.
It sounds like the ignition timing is out. it needs to fire about 8-12 degrees BTDC at tickover. The flash will be irregular at tickover, so set it to a fast tickover first, to check your strobe, then reduce it.

There is a deeper mark on the crank pulley for TDC. Turn the engine anti clockwise about 1/2 to 1 inch. You should see 2, 3, or4 smaller grooves. These are the timing marks probably at 8, 10 and 12 degrees BTDC.
A haynes manual describes setting timing very well. You may be able to find one on line if you dont have one.

Thanks Bob!

Yup, got the haynes and identified the grooves and filled them with tipex to highlight them. 

What does the numbers 32/36 refer to?

Edited by zhap135

32/36 refere to the choke diamters.

The primary is 32mm for good MPG at part throttle

The secondary is 36mm for when you unleash the horses.

I have this carb on a 2l pinto and recently got 38MPG on a 220 mile round trip on mainly secondary roads.

1 hour ago, tractor said:

Don't forget to disconnect the vac advance when checking timing and block off pipe 

Thanks Trator! yes disconnected, but didn't block the pipe, will have another look in over teh weekend

42 minutes ago, IanS said:

32/36 refere to the choke diamters.

The primary is 32mm for good MPG at part throttle

The secondary is 36mm for when you unleash the horses.

I have this carb on a 2l pinto and recently got 38MPG on a 220 mile round trip on mainly secondary roads.

Thanks Ian, am slowly piecing together what all teh nubmers and letters mean!

• 2 weeks later...

My thoughts are that you could change the jets to limit overfueling but would need a rolling road to set it up. You can’t just slap on any old carb and hope it works. I would consider other carbs that have been fitted to the 1.6 Pinto first

i do have Weber Carburetors by Pat Braden (HP Books) which gives standard jetting, production jetting and conversion kit jetting that has some examples 2 of which are 2.0L Capri (32/36 DFAV)and 1600 Cortina (DGAV) both using 32/36 with 26/27 chokes

1600 had 3.5 Aux Venturi

F50 emulsion

1.35 main jet

1.70 air corrector

0.55 Pump jet

2.0 needle valve

the difference for the 2.0L Capri was minimal with

aux venturi 4.50

F6 emulsion

0.45 idle jet

0.65 Pump jet

however there is another line of jets that pretty much matches the 2.0L so you may be ok but should at least check AFR if you fit it

perhaps the difference was less than I expected.,,

• 3 weeks later...