Petrol tanks?

Jonty Wild

I have just seen a 2b which I am serious about buying, but it seems to have very small tank and I am worried about its range. Can anyone advise on tank options likely cost and how big a job it is for me to change it or what is the likely fuel consumption for a Ford 2l in good condition in a Robin Hood?

I believe the standard tank is about 25 litres. I have a 1.6 and do about 30mpg if I'm not overdoing it. I think most people think about filling up after about 100 miles. I get very nervous at 120 miles and usually fit in about 22 litres.

Yep, similar story here. I had a 30L tank in mine with a 2L pinto engine which does close to 30mpg if you drive very gently.  I could never manage to properly fill the tank and was usually looking at filling up after 100 miles.  I recently had a new tank made (to my drawing) which holds about 40 litres and I can now fill it.  Did a 200 mile round trip to Stoneleigh the other week and still had fuel left when I got home.

Thanks for info' so far. I have only seen a couple but this one has an unusual spacious boot! Which suggests a tiny tank.

Edited by Jonty Wild

The car (2B) I am really interested in appears to have a petrol tank capacity of about 15 litres, which very small and range restricting. Can anyone enlighten me on tank sizes available and how easy/hard they are to change?

Also I probably should start a new topic for this, but has anyone come up with a quality tonneau style cover than can be fitted when parked up that goes over high back seats? Probably needs to be tailor made I guess, but by who?

How hard it is to fit is going to depend on how the boot is currently panelled out, you may have to remove much of it and modify. You'll also need to modify the fuel lines/sender/filler neck.

There's a 30 litre tank available here:

https://kitspares.co.uk/products/fuel-tank-robin-hood-2b