Anyone available to finish fittings for reasonable price? (Essex)

Baba

Hiya,

I am new to the forum. I have a mostly finished 2B that just needs fittings and final touches done to get through the IVA. 

I Wouldn't mind paying to get it done properly and pass first time.

Is anyone able to do it for a reasonable sum of money?

EDIT: I am based in Corringham (Essex)

Thank you in advance 🙂 

Edited by Baba

You can't add a location unless you're a paid-up member... 😉

Ah, those 'it only needs a few tweaks to get it through IVA' adverts - I really hope that is right but if it was that easy, why didn't the original guy do it and then sell the car for much more?

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Foz said:

Hi Baba,

Welcome to the club, stick your location on and you may well get folks local to you willing to help.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for replying. I am based in Corringham (Essex).

I'm hoping I haven't made a mistake buying this car. I've been reading up online today and it seems people advise to steer clear of Robin Hood. I don't understand why as I've not read a proper explanation yet. 

I personally thought the Robin Hoods looked better and wider. 

Anyways, hope to hear from you. Cheers 🙂

Edited by Baba

9 hours ago, nelmo said:

You can't add a location unless you're a paid-up member... 😉

Ah, those 'it only needs a few tweaks to get it through IVA' adverts - I really hope that is right but if it was that easy, why didn't the original guy do it and then sell the car for much more?

I am dreading it now mate. Maybe I've made a horrible mistake 😪

It is not robin hoods that are the problem.

The problem is unregistered cars of any type, there are a lot of abandomed kit builds (of all makes) out there for many reasons, it is just that robin hood produced more kits per year (approx 600 per year) than almost all other manufactures combined from mid 90s for the next 15 years. So there are more uncompleted robin hoods out there than most other single make.

There are probably a higher percentage of the high priced multistage payement kits unfinished out there.

Chin up 2Bs were designed to pass IVA. SVA came allong when government realised that this was a profit center and upped prices to suit, little else changed so properly put together it will pass.

Edited by IanS
wrong word inserted.
  • Thanks 1

Can you can stick a couple of photos up so we can see how much work is required?  Each 2B is pretty much unique and built to suit the owner so a picture will give us an idea of what it's like. As Ian says 2Bs will pass IVA if put together properly, the question really is how much work yours needs.  I'm half way up the country from you but there is probably someone near you who will be willing to come and have a look for tea & biscuits.

16 hours ago, Baba said:

I am dreading it now mate. Maybe I've made a horrible mistake 😪

Sorry, I didn't mean to panic you... 😬

Are you planning on doing any of the work yourself? Labour is the most expensive part of any work - I spent around 200 hours building my car and many more since I finished it, on repairs and upgrades. And I'm afraid to say, the last push to IVA was the most labour-intensive, getting all the little details done (look at my blog for examples - link in the sig below).

So if you can do the work yourself, it will be MUCH cheaper and easier. If you find a pro, he'll charge, what, £50-£100 per hour? Quite rightly as it is his day job but it's expensive for you.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to panic you... 😬

Are you planning on doing any of the work yourself? Labour is the most expensive part of any work - I spent around 200 hours building my car and many more since I finished it, on repairs and upgrades. And I'm afraid to say, the last push to IVA was the most labour-intensive, getting all the little details done (look at my blog for examples - link in the sig below).

So if you can do the work yourself, it will be MUCH cheaper and easier. If you find a pro, he'll charge, what, £50-£100 per hour? Quite rightly as it is his day job but it's expensive for you.

Thank you so much mate. I am not too bad with a spanner, I might be able to do it myself. Would be good to have a fresh pair of eyes just to make sure I've not made any blunders. 

6 hours ago, Foz said:

Can you can stick a couple of photos up so we can see how much work is required?  Each 2B is pretty much unique and built to suit the owner so a picture will give us an idea of what it's like. As Ian says 2Bs will pass IVA if put together properly, the question really is how much work yours needs.  I'm half way up the country from you but there is probably someone near you who will be willing to come and have a look for tea & biscuits.

Hi Steve,

Please see link below for a video of the car as it stands.  

https://youtu.be/pk7b-5xzyPY

Is there any chance you could embed the video to my original post please? I tried but it won't let me.

Look forward to hearing from you. 

Edited by Baba

First step would be to download the iva manual from the Gov website. Have a read but don't let it frighten you. From reading lots of people's experiences the main things to be aware of are seatbelts fixings and sharp edges. Take photos of everything you do or if you have it done elsewhere make sure they take photos. One thing, the car doesn't have to have a windscreen to pass the iva and it saves a lot of hassle as there are a few hoops to jump through if you have one. Demisting for a start. Fit one afterwards. Most importantly,  have fun with it. Make it your own.

• Like 1

You're limited on what you can do on the forums if you're not a member but don't worry, folks will find the video OK.  As Dan says above, have a go & make it yours.  You may also need to re-position lights and mirrors to make sure they comply, make sure the wheel arches cover the tyres and the seats are bolted to something solid - not just the floor.  If you're OK with a spanner you'll be able to do it all yourself, just don't expect to have it finished in a weekend !  Looking at the video I can't see anything obviously wrong with the car and there's plenty of people on here who will give you advise on how to complete each bit.

• Like 1

Nice video, a lot of work has been done to get it that far, on a quick glance, the car needs front cycle wings (do you have all the unfitted stuff, like wings, brackets etc?) Bonnet catches, front indicators, as said no need for windscreen. Needs wing mirrors and rear view mirror. Whats going on around the top edge of the rear drivers side wheel arch, it looks like something sharp there. we cant see the standard of work under the bonnet, things like fuel line fixing, electrical cable fixing, If not original wheel/tyre sizes, is the speedo now accurate?  all this sort of stuff is well within the capabilities of a home mechanic, roll up your sleeves and buy a big tub of Swarfega.

On 6/17/2022 at 12:48 PM, Foz said:

You're limited on what you can do on the forums if you're not a member but don't worry, folks will find the video OK.  As Dan says above, have a go & make it yours.  You may also need to re-position lights and mirrors to make sure they comply, make sure the wheel arches cover the tyres and the seats are bolted to something solid - not just the floor.  If you're OK with a spanner you'll be able to do it all yourself, just don't expect to have it finished in a weekend !  Looking at the video I can't see anything obviously wrong with the car and there's plenty of people on here who will give you advise on how to complete each bit.

Thank you so much. I am so grateful for the advice.  I love that this forum is active when Facebook seems to have killed off most of the other forums.

I would like to become a member actually...

On 6/18/2022 at 12:54 PM, Sparepart said:

Nice video, a lot of work has been done to get it that far, on a quick glance, the car needs front cycle wings (do you have all the unfitted stuff, like wings, brackets etc?) Bonnet catches, front indicators, as said no need for windscreen. Needs wing mirrors and rear view mirror. Whats going on around the top edge of the rear drivers side wheel arch, it looks like something sharp there. we cant see the standard of work under the bonnet, things like fuel line fixing, electrical cable fixing, If not original wheel/tyre sizes, is the speedo now accurate?  all this sort of stuff is well within the capabilities of a home mechanic, roll up your sleeves and buy a big tub of Swarfega.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain. I have a lot of unfitted stuff, just need to go through it all and see what's what. I'll try and get a few more pictures under the bonnet and around the sharp edges this weekend. 

The only thing I am missing is one front cycle wing. I will have to buy that.

Edited by Baba