Pinto / Weber help

LewisH

Good afternoon all,

I have an 1800 pinto with a Weber 32/36 carb which I cannot seem to get running right. 

The engine starts, runs & idles fine, but under acceleration the engine stalls, particularly if I open the throttle quickly. The engine is also very low on power and doesn't seem to pull under load.

I have checked and changed the obvious; rotor arm, HT leads & dizi cap.

My thinking is that the carb is for a 2litre and I am using it on an 1800.

I have changed the primary & secondary main jets from 135/140 to 120/125 - although I haven't driven the car since, I have run in the garage and it hasn't stopped the engine stalling under heavy acceleration. 

I am now thinking I should also change the air jets, but I really don't know what I am doing here, it's all guess work. 

Can anyone offer some pointers here? Should I be reducing the air jets as well, or increasing the air jets? Was I right to reduce the main jets or should I be increasing these?

I have looked for a rolling road near me (Maidenhead) but the only one I could find said that they only do Bike carbs...which is now tempting seeing as I am getting nowhere with the weber. 

Any advice here would be much appreciated. I've had the car on the road since Feb but haven't managed to do more than a 20 minute journey testing and then more head scratching. 

Hi

If he engine is low on power it is either going lean (not enough fuel) or going very rich (too much fuel).

Have a look at your spark plugs... are they black and sooty which might be a sign of the engine being too rich.

Is the float sticking?  If it is sticking it could allow the foat chamber to overfill and push too much fuel into the engine.

It is more likely that the engine is running lean and losing power.  Is the fuel pump failing - maybe a failing pump diaphragm or maybe a choked up fuel filter.

The other possibility is an air leak in the inlet manifold gasket or between the carb and manifold.  It may not show up at low revs but once the engine is revving and pulling more air any leaks after the carb will upset the mixture.

If you  have taken the carb off to re-jet it are you sure it is seated properly and the gasket is OK.

Check the simple things first and don't spend money on parts until you are sure you have found the problem.

Not claiming to be an expert but have a system for checking things and ruling out any potential issues.

Kevin

On 6/17/2022 at 8:16 AM, RevKev said:

Hi

If he engine is low on power it is either going lean (not enough fuel) or going very rich (too much fuel).

Have a look at your spark plugs... are they black and sooty which might be a sign of the engine being too rich.

Is the float sticking?  If it is sticking it could allow the foat chamber to overfill and push too much fuel into the engine.

It is more likely that the engine is running lean and losing power.  Is the fuel pump failing - maybe a failing pump diaphragm or maybe a choked up fuel filter.

The other possibility is an air leak in the inlet manifold gasket or between the carb and manifold.  It may not show up at low revs but once the engine is revving and pulling more air any leaks after the carb will upset the mixture.

If you  have taken the carb off to re-jet it are you sure it is seated properly and the gasket is OK.

Check the simple things first and don't spend money on parts until you are sure you have found the problem.

Not claiming to be an expert but have a system for checking things and ruling out any potential issues.

Kevin

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I've checked the plugs and they are a little sooty but not massively.

Checked the float, looks fine and is sitting level.

I've changed the fuel pump from mechanical to electric (low pressure facet), this didn't make any difference to the running, just saves the battery when I try and start it after not having done so in a while. All fuel filters changed as well.

I've double checked every fitting/gasket/face on the manifold, pretty sure it's not leaking.

I've double checked the ignition timing, was set at around 10deg, I've moved back to 6 as per Haynes. This seemed to help a little but still feels a bit gutless, engine still stalls if the choke is fully open and hard throttle - doesn't do this when choke is closed. This is when up to temp.

The air jets are only a couple of £ each so might just bite the bullet and buy some to experiment. 

23 hours ago, Peter Bell said:

My usual comment for this problem is there may be rubbish in the fuel tank blocking the pick up pipe.

I've recently had the tank out when fitting new fuel pump and refilled with new fuel. Carb also seems to fill fairly quickly when I've not used it in a while so fairly confident fuel lines and pick up are clear.

12 hours ago, IanS said:

Is the enrichment (accelerator) pump working?

Look down the carb barrels and when the throttle is opened you should see a squirt of petrol into both chokes.

Yes. So should this be in both or is it progressive i.e. First barrel under partial throttle then the second under full throttle? It's definitely working in the barrel closest to the engine, I've not noticed this in the other barrel. 

2 hours ago, IanS said:

Both chokes at once.

https://www.classicfordmag.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/classic-ford-weber-dgv-rebuild-instructions.pdf

As you can see in picture 11 it is a simple 2 outlet jet, one for each choke.

Also picture 6 is the power valve working?

Ok thanks. I will take this bit apart and give it a flush with carb cleaner. Fingers crossed!