New robin hood owner

Tsotd

Hi,

My miss has brought me a kit car, the last own said its a robin hood. Good old Facebook tells me its a 2b.

I would like to get it on the road but I have no paperwork. Does anyone recognise the car or could provide more details on it?

Thanks 

20220617-211004.jpg

Picture actually says that it is a SubK.

2B chasies with Exmo front suspension.

No paperwork whatsoever? Not even a V5?

Without reciepts or V5 it will be tricky to get registered as you have to prove that it is not stolen.

Does it even have a number plate?

If it has check its mot history and if it is correctly registered as a robin hood, if it is then you just need to apply for a V5 in your name supported by the sale invoice.

Yeah, I'm afraid so - effectively, you've got an almost-complete kit which has never been officially tested (IVA) and thus never registered. Quite common for kits to be sold at that stage - IVA test costs £450 and there is a shed-load of confusing paperwork after that to get it registered.

You are probably going to have to dismantle some of it.   Firstly as the IVA inspector will want photos of the invisible bits (think seat belt lower mountings) and, more importantly, that the work carried out so far is safe and of a high standard.

21 hours ago, alanrichey said:

You are probably going to have to dismantle some of it.   Firstly as the IVA inspector will want photos of the invisible bits (think seat belt lower mountings) and, more importantly, that the work carried out so far is safe and of a high standard.

My IVA guy never asked for a single photo - I would imagine those ones are enough if they do ask.

However, a lot to do to get that to IVA standard (those headlight fittings may have to go, for starters 😬). The full manual is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-m1

A lot of it isn't relevant to a kit car but one of the main things are 'sharp edges' - IVA is very keen that any human body you've hit doesn't then get a scratch (as it's flying through the air) from a 'sharp' edge. So you'll need lots of rubber trim in various areas. Also, seatbelts are a common failure point, usually the strength of the lower mountings and where they are bolted into.

You will not pass the IVA first time (very few do unless you pay someone like GBS a small fortune to do it for you), so don't stress getting it perfect. Worth just doing the initial test, getting the list of failure items and then working on those (re-test is £95 and you can do as many as you want/need).

What is good is that you have a Mazda engine which is a major bonus - decent engine that. Hopefully, you've also got the Mazda gearbox which is excellent.

Thank you for the feedback.

From what I can tell most of the bodywork either doesn't fit / wrong size or is broken so I can seem myself fixing or replacing most of it.

The does drive/move so thats a good start. I'm unsure on what gearbox it is, I can see its a ford diff.