Seat belt anchorage/Fitting

zhap135

I've got an S7 , which has a monocoque chassis. Has anyone else fitted seat belts to this arrangement for IVA? how does it work? The IVA manual says that fit to flat panels is a source of concern, however I can't see what else I can fit to (the 3rd mounting point I believe to acceptable for the roll bar supports to the rear chassis - high;ighted in blue).

I was considering attaching both waste belt anchors to the panel behind the seat where the tunnel and wheel arch box section is bolted too the panel (red in pic), BUT I'm hesitant. I would at the very least need to weld some spreaders to this panel (I believe) but I don't want to start drilling /welding until I know that it's the right thing to do. 

There were original 2 holes that appeared to be for seat belts (yellow in pic), but no spreaders and not easy to access to weld

Any ideas? image.thumb.png.031cdcff316f83c34e15c98f842ce745.png

I bolted spreader plates behind the panel, you don’t need to weld, I also did extensive triangulation of the rear upper belt mount and welded a tube across the roll hoop at the correct height as required for IVA

33 minutes ago, Snapperpaul said:

I bolted spreader plates behind the panel, you don’t need to weld, I also did extensive triangulation of the rear upper belt mount and welded a tube across the roll hoop at the correct height as required for IVA

Aaaah, thanks Paul, that's really encouraging. Were they the typical square ones with a captive nut, about £3 a pop from CBS?

So I'd guess at a bolt in a couple of corners of the spreader, have got some M6 8.8 tensile ones I think. Does that sound about right?

Also would love to know more about the modifications to the roll bar. I didn't spot anything in the IVA manual in section 19 seat belts about that - is it mentioned elsewhere?

Edited by zhap135

I used the original steel plate that came with the kit and one of those £3 captive nut spreaders but also put a large steel plate behind the stainless panel first as I thought it may be a bit thin.

The mounting point for the shoulder straps is too low on a monocoque chassis, IVA states a minimum height above seat squab, be careful as there is a block that can be made out of wood of a specific dimension that is placed on the seat and a measurement taken from the heights point of the block.

you can email me at paul.kemp111@gmail.com and I’ll send you a folder of stuff about my IVA mods

I got the kit as a part complete some time ago, so the original plates are lost to history - don't remember them coming with it, and of course things may have been different at the time of manufacture.

Thanks for the heads up about the shoulder mounts, yes I'd love to see your build diary, thankyou so much. Will send an email now

21 hours ago, zhap135 said:

I've got an S7 , which has a monocoque chassis. Has anyone else fitted seat belts to this arrangement for IVA? how does it work? The IVA manual says that fit to flat panels is a source of concern, however I can't see what else I can fit to (the 3rd mounting point I believe to acceptable for the roll bar supports to the rear chassis - high;ighted in blue).

I was considering attaching both waste belt anchors to the panel behind the seat where the tunnel and wheel arch box section is bolted too the panel (red in pic), BUT I'm hesitant. I would at the very least need to weld some spreaders to this panel (I believe) but I don't want to start drilling /welding until I know that it's the right thing to do. 

There were original 2 holes that appeared to be for seat belts (yellow in pic), but no spreaders and not easy to access to weld

Any ideas? image.thumb.png.031cdcff316f83c34e15c98f842ce745.png

I did exactly this on my Exmo and passed in Feb this year with no comments on how I had mounted seat belts.

I used some C-channels with captive nuts on the outside, with additional spreader plates on the inside of chassis. Pics below.

I used top section of the rear tub for shoulder strap mounts, but fitted an extra piece of angle inside the tub to spread the load. 

20201202_105035.jpg

20201202_105019.jpg

Edited by LewisH

1 hour ago, LewisH said:

I did exactly this on my Exmo and passed in Feb this year with no comments on how I had mounted seat belts.

I used some C-channels with captive nuts on the outside, with additional spreader plates on the inside of chassis. Pics below.

I used top section of the rear tub for shoulder strap mounts, but fitted an extra piece of angle inside the tub to spread the load. 

20201202_105035.jpg

20201202_105019.jpg

thanks for that Lewis, that's a pretty substantial solution! Can you let me know what gauge steel you used there? Did you have guidance that that's what is required, or were you taking a belt and braces x1.5 approach?

On the shoulder mounts did you check teh height of the mounting as per Snapper's post above? According to the IVA I'am about 2" too low to mount directly to the interface of the tub/roll over bar (where I marked o with teh blue arrow on my photo), - one thought I had was welding a cross member to the upright stanchions of the ROB, and mount directly to that

Edited by zhap135

1 hour ago, zhap135 said:

thanks for that Lewis, that's a pretty substantial solution! Can you let me know what gauge steel you used there? Did you have guidance that that's what is required, or were you taking a belt and braces x1.5 approach?

On the shoulder mounts did you check teh height of the mounting as per Snapper's post above? According to the IVA I'am about 2" too low to mount directly to the interface of the tub/roll over bar (where I marked o with teh blue arrow on my photo), - one thought I had was welding a cross member to the upright stanchions of the ROB, and mount directly to that

I can't remember the gauge to be honest, I'll measure tomorrow and let you know, but yes it was belt and braces for me as this was an area of concern. 

With the shoulder mounts I added a crossbar to my rollbar for the belts to run over. Pic below.

20210512_173407.jpg

2 hours ago, LewisH said:

I can't remember the gauge to be honest, I'll measure tomorrow and let you know, but yes it was belt and braces for me as this was an area of concern. 

With the shoulder mounts I added a crossbar to my rollbar for the belts to run over. Pic below.

20210512_173407.jpg

Wow, what a spanker!. Glad to see that cross member, was thinking of something like that, although was thinking of welding lugs for the anchor bolts. How is your arrangement working, does it just lift the belts to the right height?

On 6/25/2022 at 10:18 PM, zhap135 said:

Wow, what a spanker!. Glad to see that cross member, was thinking of something like that, although was thinking of welding lugs for the anchor bolts. How is your arrangement working, does it just lift the belts to the right height?

Thanks! Yes, it was purely to raise the height of the belts. 

The C-channels that I used for the lower mounting points were 3mm gauge by the way. 

Thanks

22 minutes ago, LewisH said:

Thanks! Yes, it was purely to raise the height of the belts. 

The C-channels that I used for the lower mounting points were 3mm gauge by the way. 

Brilliant, thanks! That's cool, I'll probably follow your lead and dispense itht hte complication f the lugs. This has been really useful, thanks so much!

I did the same and also triangulated from the rear seatbelt mount to the roll bar, I fitted steel plates under the roll bar where the ends meet the boot floor and augmented the standard exhaust U clamp securing the roll bar to the tub by drilling 2 holes through each down tube, welding in anti-crush tubes and bolting to the tub with spreader washers.