S7 Rear Arches

Jayster

I’ve had a look through the posts but I’m still baffled. I’ve just got a rolling S7 chassis (Mk2 Sierra I think) and acquired 2 sets of rear arches for it. One set is almost like bicycle wings with the rear lights on and stainless stone guard and the other covers the whole rear quarter of the car, leaving only the very rear panel in stainless. It it just personal choice what ones to put on or was one style in particular included with the kit?

Thanks! 

A picture of what you have would help. Is your rolling chassis of tubular frame construction or is it monocoque. If it's monocqoque then it should be obvious that you need the larger arches because thats the only way the area above the rear wheels will be enclosed. I have an Exmo, which I believe has a similar monocoque to the S7, and that uses the large arches that form the rear quarters.

Thanks for the reply Sparepart. Yes, I’m there tonight so I’ll post some pictures. I’m sure it’s a Sierra based Monocoque with the inboard front suspension but the rear quarter is all stainless so there is nothing to hide. Therefore I think it will take either wing?66D8281F-D5F2-474F-A65F-DBDFB8F19CD5.jpeg.0c4adf6bdf81c5830ecd00c052778b8f.jpeg Ps I meant cycle wing not bicycle wing🙄

looking at your picture, the ones covering the entire quarter would be what came with the kit.

The cycle wings were not a normal fitment for S7s but putting our own stamp on details is what makes these cars individual.

Nice one Ian. I do prefer the smaller wings. I think I’ll relocate a smaller shock in a more upright position. Coming from the VW scene which appears to be full of purists these days it’s so nice to be part of a scene where individuality is at the forefront. 

Yes, I agree with IanS, the top (orangy) ones would have been with the kit, same as provided with Exmo. The Exmo monocoque is a bit splayed out at the bottom so that the tub covers the ends of the rear subframe which can be seen on your photo of your S7. So as well as the rear arch in GRP there would have bee a SS "cone like" fairing that covered the end of the subframe. I'm not sure if it came with the kit or was left to the builder to make. Here is a photo of an S7 with the fairing.

7ffc070223b34272b962a919caa4a133.thumb.jpg.f08987ea3e5e38b1c0d72103ff3b2bc8.jpg

One thing to consider is that the S7 kit came out per SVA/IVA when just getting a MOT and a declaration of where the parts came from  was all that was needed to get the car road legal.

You say that this is a rolling chassis, does it come with a V5 stating make is robin hood, if so you are in for an easier time.

If not then you will have to pass IVA to get on the road.

IVA manual here

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1065789/individual-vehicle-approval-inspection-manual-passenger-vehicles.pdf

Have a good build.

Ian

I have a box of stainless parts and those cones are in it with the film on… result! Thanks for that. And I suppose that the orange wings supplied with the kit may cover any unsightly rear shocks. Is it just a case of cutting the wings to fit? There is that large step between the cockpit and the rear. 

Thanks again for both your help. 

Ian I just saw you message. Unfortunately no, it hasn’t got a V5. I’ve got a copy of all 319 pages of the manual and I’m mentally prepared for the challenges this build will bring🙄. I suppose starting from a chassis and being able to use the manual as a guide will be a good thing. I just need to get my head around applying for a VIN number. You need it for the IVA but I got confused when applying for a VIN number I was asked to provide proof of an IVA. I probably have my wires crossed.