Shower cap / half hood

Jonty Wild

On 7/26/2022 at 3:32 PM, Jonty Wild said:

I am waiting for them to respond.

Tried ringing a couple of times, the line goes through and then they hang up or at least that is what the message says - to be frank they are not leaving me with a good impression, may be others have had a better experience.

They are, as far as I am aware, the only dedicated kit car roof/door makers in the country and are probably snowed under. The fact they can't answer the phone is not a reflection of their work, so if you want it from them, you'll have to just persist.

The only other option is a boat sail maker (chandler?) - they often make custom covers/roofs for boats. I don't know of any but Google is your friend...

Edited by nelmo

If you know someone who can drive a sewing machine it's pretty easy to make your own.

This top is one of several I've made:

https://www.rhocar.org/index.php?/forums/topic/48544-surrey-top-and-door-project

One for a 2B or Zero would be simpler because the main part is flat so you can make it in a single piece rather than having a join half way down the door area.

Using double sided tape to hold it together before sewing means you don't have to do lots of pinning and can concentrate on getting the sewing neat rather than holding pieces in place.

I am waiting on pone company who has responded (not SoftBits, who haven't), but I have found another company who say they will make me one, so I am busy measuring up for one. However, I think that I will take my measurements and mock one up to allow them to be tweaked' before I order. When I know more I will post again - it may be sometime!

Richy66, that look very interesting. I assume that is is a top that you can drive with. I have a soft top hood, albeit that I have no idea how to fit it yet (hoping to see a few cars with fittings soon!).  What I wanting is something I can put over it when parked on a day out, so that I don't have to run back to it at the first sign of rain! I have looked at cheap half hoods/caps (e.g. Halfords and similar on eBay etc.) but they are difficult to size for a 2B, will be a very poor fit and most seem to have terrible reviews.

I got a sail maker to help with my surrey top. His top tip is to mock it up using sections made of clear plastic sheet ducktaped together so you can see fitting locations etc underneath. It made it much easier to get an accurate mockup.

Good to see you got yourself a car. Is this the type of thing you are looking for, Helen made this from waterproof Ripstop Polyester, 4 meters cost £15. I use it whenever I leave the car unattended. At the front it slides into some caravan awning track that is attached to the top of the windscreen, fits over the polycarbonate doors and is poppered around the back of the car. Fully waterproof and folds up into a small bag for storage.

Nigel.

DSC06080.thumb.JPG.c9fcdcc9b81e41943b93ba28e4b982bd.JPG

niduncan Yep that is pretty much exactly want I want - If only I had a sowing machine - and could use it!  What is it like on the sides?

Generally I am pleased with my car, apart from some B*****d has scratched front wheel arch already! I swear that it wasn't while I was in the car.

On 7/30/2022 at 4:52 PM, Bob Tucker said:

I got a sail maker to help with my surrey top. His top tip is to mock it up using sections made of clear plastic sheet ducktaped together so you can see fitting locations etc underneath. It made it much easier to get an accurate mockup.

Great tip

Further general information. My mystery manufacturer has quoted me £100 plus £8.95 P & P to make one to my measurements. I will let you know what happens when I have more information and if I order, how good it turns out.