Petrol tanks?

Jonty Wild

With a small fuel tank, I would like to fill it fully, especially for longer trips and until l am more familiar with the consumption and gauge accuracy. Has anyone 'cured' the significant blow back at automatic flow cut off - maybe some sort of pipe reducer to take the pipe down to the size of current nozzles?

I can fill my tank at full speed with no problem.  I believe that this because the design of the Superspec fuel filler cap has a breather tube (about 10mm diameter) that goes from the tank to the filler neck just inside the car body.   So this means the nozzle goes well past the breather tube opening allowing the air to flow out through the open cap.

If you have the "standard" 2B tank with the filler on the rear panel you will find you have 2 problems.  You obviously know about the problem of having to fill it slowly which has a lot to do with the short pipe and tight bend into the tank.  The second problem is that if you do fill the tank and accelerate hard you'll lose the last gallon back out of the filler cap.  Try as I might I never got it to seal properly, and I know I'm not the only one.

I moved the filler on mine to higher up by the boot lid and then I eventually had a custom tank made so the filler now goes pretty much straight down from the cap to the tank.

As Alan's breather tube works well for him it might be worth trying with a bit of pipe to see if it helps.

Steve

32 minutes ago, Foz said:

If you have the "standard" 2B tank with the filler on the rear panel you will find you have 2 problems.  You obviously know about the problem of having to fill it slowly which has a lot to do with the short pipe and tight bend into the tank.  The second problem is that if you do fill the tank and accelerate hard you'll lose the last gallon back out of the filler cap.  Try as I might I never got it to seal properly, and I know I'm not the only one.

I moved the filler on mine to higher up by the boot lid and then I eventually had a custom tank made so the filler now goes pretty much straight down from the cap to the tank.

As Alan's breather tube works well for him it might be worth trying with a bit of pipe to see if it helps.

Steve

Interesting. I haven't lost any fuel driving (as far as I know) even after the blow back incident. I was assuming that the filler pipe was a throw back to unleaded days and therefore too large a diameter and therefore fuel could go passed the nozzle too easily - I will have another look and think and fill up more slowly!

6 hours ago, alanrichey said:

I can fill my tank at full speed with no problem.  I believe that this because the design of the Superspec fuel filler cap has a breather tube (about 10mm diameter) that goes from the tank to the filler neck just inside the car body.   So this means the nozzle goes well past the breather tube opening allowing the air to flow out through the open cap.

Thanks