Newbie in a world of hurt !

LeicJim3a

Purchased my first ever kit car in August a 1983 Robin Hood 3a.2.0 pinto I have some mechanical knowledge, so I set about it, new carb and added manual choke, plugs, dizzy cap, rota arm, leads and coil set timing set emissions. She drove an absolute beauty for 4 -5 miles then started cutting out! back in the garage first though was a faulty kill switch so replaced no change some dodgy looking wiring to a relay under steering column replaced car fired up ready for test drive. Just gone to it today and no spark at all.  Electrics and wiring are not my strong point I am really running out of ideas. I am thinking maybe the ignition switch in the key barrel could be the issue so thinking of losing it and going to flick and push button start on the dashboard would this be a good idea ? can anyone tell me how to wire this up ? any one got any more clues as to what could be going on I have no confidence in the wiring on this car I do know when it runs it is fantastic and everything  I wanted it to be Frustrated newbie Leicestershire area ! 

I will also mention red light on dashboard full time when kill switch is on, 2 more lights one amber one red glow dim all the time when kill switch on key in ignition and turning makes no difference to any of these lights

Image.jpeg

Unlikely to be the ignition switch more likely to be a bad connection somewhere.

Get a 12v test light and connect it between a decent earth and the positive side of the coil. With the ignition on, the light should be on.

Start poking and jiggling at the wiring and see if the light goes out (or comes on if it wasn't on before).

Pay particular attention to connectors and earth points. Look out for non factory looking crimped terminals, anything with tape on which might hide a bad connection.

Many thanks to everyone for the help and advise, Saturday I tried again whipped the plugs out and cleaned them up she fired up easily!  ran to temp and purred like a kitten. Although I have lost confidence to take it out on a main road, I will wait until I have a friend local with a tow rope who can rescue me if it cuts out when driving, really appreciate the offer of time Tractor however we are away sat - Sat for the half term week.  Let me road test it when the weather is good enough over the next few weeks, (it is possible ive accidentally fixed it with recent jobs) If it plays up ill start testing the wiring as Richyb66 suggested if i am still pulling my hair out I might just shout for HELP ! 

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update i finally got time and weather on my side and took her out on Sunday ran sweet for 10 miles plus not a hint of anything last 5 miles ish a couple of  minor coughs still felt very electrical failure but by far the best run out to date, my next thought is put a new dizzy in to eliminate the possibility internal components breaking down its elec ignition so not too expensive and will give me further piece of mind unless anyone has better ideas or insight ?