Lightweight: strengthening the Differential

OV1Guy

Greetings. I have a LW that has a Sierra rear end. I did not build it but I am finishing it. With a 240 hp motor, I am worried about the spinning of the Diff. Can a steel support be added now that the chassis is complete? Could I remove the gas tank and get to it that way? I have a steel tube undercarriage/subframe that I had made and attached to the bottom. I am thinking of brackets from the diff bolts going through holes cut in the allum belly pan and these brackets would attach to the subframe. Or other possible ways? What have others done? Thank you.

I'm afraid the expert on lightweights, GDC Graham Coles, passed away quite some time ago now so I think you may just have to search in the lightweight section for any help. I do know he reinforced most of the car, the original diff mount failed after a short time with about 150 BHP.

He built 2 of these, if the owners of them are on here, perhaps they could supply some photos?