Drilling windscreen frame for press studs

Jtox

I have done it.

A length of brake pipe over the drill bit leaving only 2 to 3mm exposed acts as a good depth stop.

You also need to check that the self tappers used to fix the presstuds are not too long, I ground the tip off my screws to get good engagement of the threads with no chance of hitting the glass.

1 hour ago, max said:

yes me too i used short pop rivets 

Did you manage to get hold of a riveter with a small enough end to fix the rivets in properly.  as mine I'm having to try and make something to push the rivets down tight so they don't spin and rattle 

I used small washers that were about the same size as the rivet head and small enough to fit inside the popper body - run those down the pop rivet length and they act like an extension to the gun head (sorry, tricky to explain).

I just drilled very slowly and I did hit the glass a couple of times but it's tougher than you think (as long as it's modern, laminated stuff), so you should be fine.

Details here:

https://zerolifebuild.blogspot.com/2017/12/a-roof-over-my-head.html

Edited by nelmo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jtox said:

Did you manage to get hold of a riveter with a small enough end to fix the rivets in properly.  as mine I'm having to try and make something to push the rivets down tight so they don't spin and rattle 

yes just used std rivet and gun

I took the frame apart, drilled and tapped the holes, shortened the cap head bolts and checked clearance.

I fitted the glass with bicycle inner tube originally so easy to get apart.

I fitted reversed rivnuts in to the lower frame to fit the completed frame to the support arms.

On 12/6/2022 at 9:35 AM, nelmo said:

I used small washers that were about the same size as the rivet head and small enough to fit inside the popper body - run those down the pop rivet length and they act like an extension to the gun head (sorry, tricky to explain).

I just drilled very slowly and I did hit the glass a couple of times but it's tougher than you think (as long as it's modern, laminated stuff), so you should be fine.

Details here:

https://zerolifebuild.blogspot.com/2017/12/a-roof-over-my-head.html

Thanks for your suggestion I managed to find a small nut that did the same as your washer idea .  And I drilled it out very slowly aswell no broken screen so very happy 

• Like 1