Sheds

nelmo

This is a garden shed which has a lawnmower and a few other odds and ends - will that cause condensation? I won't be spending any time in it, I can only fit a basic 6'x4' shed.

Advert says it is galvanised?

Edited by nelmo

23 hours ago, nelmo said:

This is a garden shed which has a lawnmower and a few other odds and ends - will that cause condensation? I won't be spending any time in it, I can only fit a basic 6'x4' shed.

Advert says it is galvanised?

The problem with the metal shed is that during spells of cold weather the thermal conductivity of the metal means it gets really cold. Then, usually in this country the cold weather is followed by mild weather with high humidity, the water then condenses out on the metal surface until the metal warms up, after a frost it can sometimes fall like rain on anything in the shed, you think that there is a hole in the roof, because in some places the water dribbles down an edge and build pools of water. Wood gets just as cold and no doubt condensation forms, however as long as its not painted with water repellent paint, the humidity is absorbed into the wood.

• Like 2

We put a plastic shed up at the daughter's about 5 years ago.  It seemed fairly flimsy at the time but it's still standing.  There is no maintenance other than oiling the door hinges and it looks as good as it did originally. I'd have to say that it still feels flimsy but it has stood up to the weather, the grand-kids and the neighbour's kids (who climbed on the roof).  Hopefully it will be good for a few more years.

Steve

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 12:45 AM, Tom09tom said:

Built my shed from dismantled pallets, can collect them for free from any industrial estate. Creosote the entire thing, last forever.

NICE IDEA if you can buy Creosote when I tried x years ago the general public are not allowed to buy CREOSOTE you can only buy CREOCOTE or whatever it is called ! Apparently CREOSOTE is not allowed to be used by JOE PUBLIC as it is banned, I believe I saw a report that if someone SMELLS or SEES you using CREOSOTE they can report it to the  Council or the Police ! 😞