Rear disk conversion

Nathan parker

Easy way is to get the complete rear subframe off a sierra that had rear discs. XR4 or Cosworth sierra.

Be aware that you stand a good chance of being over braked at the back and will need some sort of restricter to the back.

The drum brakes are more than adequate for our cars.

Something to bare in mind is that the smallest Sierra rear disc diameter is 240mm, i.e the same as what you likely have already on the front of the car from a base spec Sierra, so as above the system is likely to have too much rear bias. IMO rear discs are only worth doing if you also upgrade the fronts to something bigger.

17 hours ago, RallyChris said:

Something to bare in mind is that the smallest Sierra rear disc diameter is 240mm, i.e the same as what you likely have already on the front of the car from a base spec Sierra, so as above the system is likely to have too much rear bias. IMO rear discs are only worth doing if you also upgrade the fronts to something bigger.

True the discs are the same size (253mm) however the pistons in the rear calipers are significantly smaller (34mm rear compared to 54mm front) therefore not the same braking force.

47 minutes ago, rthomas69 said:

True the discs are the same size (253mm) however the pistons in the rear calipers are significantly smaller (34mm rear compared to 54mm front) therefore not the same braking force.

Thanks for the size clarification. You don’t need the same braking force front and rear for it to still be over braked at the rear, as the rear will have less grip due to weight transfer.

• 1 month later...

Hi am very new to this forum but have a few questions first I did the disc conversion to my car and it fits ok but cannot get the pedal to come back up and when you start the car the pedal goes to the floor. Also the brake master has four outlet's two go to the front and two go to the rear without any kind of valve in-between. When you fit these calipers on the Sierra there is a kind of balance valve you are told to do away with this and fit a straight fitting in place of it but there is no valve to start with. and lastly the stalks on the column I need to find one as the wiper side is about to brake off if its any help the flasher unit is just under the turn signal stalk. I live in the USA and nobody even knows the ford did a car called the Sierra they think it's a chevy truck.I know they did the xr4i mekur but parts are rare over here 

When I did mine, my master cylinder has only 3 outputs; 1 to the rear, 2 to the front and nothing else - looks like this:

20160427_214045.thumb.jpg.6a8a1f94a030002de31a90579fd35e88.jpg

I've got a set of stalks (without any wires) if you're interested? I never used them because I could never find the wiring to go with them....message me if you are interested.

5 hours ago, nelmo said:

When I did mine, my master cylinder has only 3 outputs; 1 to the rear, 2 to the front and nothing else - looks like this:

20160427_214045.thumb.jpg.6a8a1f94a030002de31a90579fd35e88.jpg

I've got a set of stalks (without any wires) if you're interested? I never used them because I could never find the wiring to go with them....message me if you are interested.

thank you for the reply sorry I have taken so long to reply.is there anyway you can send me some pics of the stalks as I live in the Usa and to send them (if that is poss) would be a waste if they are different to what I have.your system on the brakes is much smarter than mine, when I work out to post pics I will. Also I worked out the pedal problem,I had put the calipers on the right "but wrong side " the bleed nipple was lower than the feed line so the left goes on the right and right on the right this puts the bleed nipple tighter than the feed. Also the front was the same.

Happenes time and time again.

1 Design of caliper for right and left, put bleed in the higher port and the feed pipe on the lower. Both ports the same for one part number on the caliper.

Been nearly caught out that way more than once refitting calipers. You live and learn.

Nice to hear from a member in the States I worked in Seattle for a year about 10 years ago, fun time for me, enjoy your car.

Regarding the stalks...

I've taken some photos to show how they fit. The original stalks are cut off at the point where the new stalks can be screwed and glued into the remaining stalk.

IMG_20230329_100356515.thumb.jpg.f0e5b6e58c7107c31adc0dbe6c6f960e.jpg

IMG_20230329_100404797.thumb.jpg.3a9fd78fe6c16758f6e4755739c86b86.jpg

IMG_20230329_100530835.thumb.jpg.6e0629940b7bf6d0007d25ee8df0d532.jpg