Engine rattle

Dave pitt

A few years ago I had something similar; a Zetec engine so may be different to you but this post has some good diagnostic techniques that helped me:

https://zerolifebuild.blogspot.com/2018/08/not-under-pressure.html

My issue was low oil pressure caused by a badly made oil pickup in the sump which led to big end bearing wear. Took me 3 months to work it out, though... 🙄

On 5/7/2023 at 10:12 PM, nelmo said:

A few years ago I had something similar; a Zetec engine so may be different to you but this post has some good diagnostic techniques that helped me:

https://zerolifebuild.blogspot.com/2018/08/not-under-pressure.html

My issue was low oil pressure caused by a badly made oil pickup in the sump which led to big end bearing wear. Took me 3 months to work it out, though... 🙄

Thanks pal 👍

I had a noise very similar to this when I had a pinto engine, turned out to be the cam. On the M69 at the time so called in the truck of shame to get home.

Shortage of oil from the spray bar onto the cam. Replaced the cam and the noise went into the bin along with the cam and spray bar.

If you do replace the cam make sure you follow the instructions to the letter regarding running in time .

Having been fooled by this one check for exhaust manifold leak at one of the cylinders as this can make the same noise.

then a long screwdriver to the ear (blunt end) and sharp end on rocker cover and block in multiple places to try and find where the noise is coming from.

pull the rocker cover off check rocker gaps, look for wear etc