Oil Cooler For A Vulcan 160bhp Pinto

Guest jwaterman

Guest jwaterman

hi all,

I am about to collect my new 160bhp monster form Vulcan, I have been advised to fitt a oil cooler by a number of different sources. So purchased a 16 row cooler, a thermoblock, pipe and fittings. just got to fit them.

I just thought i would ask if anyone has got/fitted a oil cooler on their car, what they thought about it, does it help, also were is it positioned it? I have spoken to lots of people and they all recommend fitting it in different palces.

some guidence would be great.

John

Hi,

Ideally you want it positioned where is has a good amount of air flow, (no air flow - hardly any cooling)

What sort of piping are you using, I had used flexi oil hose (1000psi working pressure) that I got for about £4 meter at a Rubber & plastics firm..

If space is an issue, you could use some ducting to take forced in air from the nose cone area, and have it ducted to the oil cooler, then you can mount it in a more convenient place.

Tak

Guest Russler

probably just in front of the radiator at the bottom, a 16row is quite large, you don't want to over cool the oil for obvious reasons so it might be worth fitting an oil temp gauge and then you could mount the cooler on adjustable brackets allowing it to be angled in the airflow to give the required cooling.

Guest jwaterman

cheers guys,

thanks for your help, will have a closer look at the weekend, I am using some special high pressure oil pipe for connection to engine. The thermoblock connector which connects between oil filter and block has a thermosat in it and it will only allow oil to pass through it when the temp reaches 80 degrees C. I was looking at putting the oil cooler behind the radiator in front of the engine, loads of space there. The oil will be running far hotter than the radiator so warm air fromn the rad will still help to keep the oil cool. The ducting i have in front of the radiator works really well, acting like a ram air system, this should help with the oil cooler too.

I will certainly look at fitting it in front of the radiator though, my only concern is if a stone decides it wants to inbed itself in it, i will not know i am loosing oil till the oil pressue light comes on!!!! food for thought.

cheers again

john

Having a thermostat to control flow is a good idea but in my opinion 16 rows is perhaps a little oversize. I have a 6 row mounted (with no thermostat) underneath the rad in the nose with some ducting to direct the air through. Oil temp rarely gets higher than 90 degrees, even in the summer.

Boggie