Initial Registration?

Guest SteveL

Guest SteveL

Hi All

I've just received the information pack from the DVLA about registering my 2B, and it contains a few forms, and the guidelines for filling them, but very little else.

I called and spoke to someone about this, and he said that I should fill the forms in, and send them in, and that would be it. When I asked about the SVA, he said that he assumed I'd already done that, and was ready to register. When I said I wasn't, his reply was simply to get the MOT done, SVA passed, and then come in with the forms.

Has anyone done it this way? Simply get everything done and turn up at the local VRO with the completed forms? When I asked him about a chassis number, he had to think about it, and then he said he's get someone to call me back!

In what order did you do things to get your car registered? Did you make up your own chassis number, or were you assigned one? Was your car inspected by the VRO prior to the MOT/SVA, 'cause the impression I got from this guy was that this wasn't required.

Steve (the confused!)

Steve,

I made up my chassis number, 17 digits, comprising RH2B then the invoice number then the date I picked up the car and finally my birth date.

May be a good idea to print this number on your invoice as I was asked if I had anything from RH with the chassis number on.

Insured the car on the chassis number then had an MOT done, also on the chassis number.

Got the car through the SVA test :D and with MAC in had drove straight to my local VRO to register it. After 3/4 of an hour I had my registration number and tax disc with the MOT certificate ammended with my registration number.

Don't forget to get a form off them to get your number plates made up.

Les

Guest john

Hi Steve,

Have you rung Mr Jepson at Reading yet ?

He sent me all the forms and a chassis number, explained all that is needed, and is ready to come out and do the build up inspection soon.

He knows his onions, and is a great help.

Would you like his direct fone number ?

By contrast, my experiences with Swansea have been much less straight forward.

Guest SteveL

Hi John

The aforementioned Mr Jepson was on holiday last week, so I'm waiting for him to call me today.

His direct number would be great!

Cheers

Steve

Guest SteveL

Hi John

I've just spoken to Mr Jepson, and he doesn't get round to Basingstoke very often, and it may be a month before he makes his inspection! :( Even then, it'll have to be during the day, Monday to Friday, so I'll either have to take time off, or get a neighbour to let him see the car, but I'd obviously prefer to be there.

Is it possible to legally drive to the VRO for your inspection (with the appropriate insurance)?

Steve

Guest john

Steve,

I dunno mate, but I have heard of people driving there after passing SVA. This is one for both Mr J. and your insurance co.

Pity you can't get an afternoon off.

Have you booked SVA yet ? I'm June 18 at Yeading. :D

Guest SteveL
Steve,

I dunno mate, but I have heard of people driving there after passing SVA. This is one for both Mr J. and your insurance co. Pity you can't get an afternoon off.

Have you booked SVA yet ? I'm June 18 at Yeading. :D

This would be pre-MOT and pre-SVA, so I don't thnk it'll be very legal!

I haven't booked the SVA yet, but when I do, It'll probably be Southampton (as I'm in Basingstoke). Good luck with yours!

Steve

Guest neil gale

Guys,

you are perfectly legal to drive to an MOT and an SVA provided you have a booking and have phoned the insurance company up and got insurance under the VIN of your car (unless of course you have a registration number for it already)

The kit car insurance companies are very happy with this, provided you intend to supply a registration number asap (within 15-30 days they quote) but essentially as soon as you get it registered.

I drove to my sva on tues with an insurance covernote and the appointment note for the sva, just in case i got stopped.

Hope this helps. Neil.