Ignition Lock

Longboarder

Guest Petemate

Nigel

IIRC the old (light green) Sierra Haynes manual gives info on sorting the barrels - it's a rewarding experience (boom boom - sorry, couldn't resist that....)

Petemate

Guest salty_monk

I had this with a new key that I had cut. Basically got at it with a file (the new key) in order to make it as "worn" as the old one, now it works fine! Perhaps you have the same problem??

As mentioned you can get a kit to rebuild your barrell (I had to do it on an Orion). The lock is made up of discs inside and the number of your key, (usually on a little plastic tab got when the car is new......guess its a long shot you still having that !!), relates to these discs. I used to work at fords and there were fellas there who could tell you the number of a key just by looking at it so the ford dealer may be able to do the same.

Guest TerryBarry

Strangely I've had the opposite experience to Salty - the old keys are tricky in the ignition lock - need a lot of fiddling to get past the first position ( as they were in the tailgate lock of the 1989 donor).

A new key functions perfectly.

I've found with these Ford keys that sometimes you need to push the key squarely into the lock barrel and then release and the dumb thing comes out in your hand

Thanks everyone for help and suggestions. Now sorted. Can't be doing with time off the road with Exeter coming up next weekend so I went out and bought a new one on Friday. £40!!!!!!!!!!!! Shame you didn't post a couple of days ago Graham. However had a good blast yesterday. Amazing the effect of a few miles, keeping strictly to the limits of course, up and down the dual carriageway A30 Plymouth to Exeter and then tootling out over Dartmoor. Well wrapped up, heater toasting the legs, gloves and silly hat on. Just about to repeat the experience.

Nigel