Cb Aerial

Guest red7

hi

use a load of earth wire curld up that will get the swr down if i remember right

any 1 no whats a good rig to get these days? iv looked on ebay but there all the old 80s cbs and i cant remember what was good and what was bad apart from the fidelity 1000/2000 cb omg what a load of rubarb they were

olly

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Olly, you've not grasped what we are using them for, we're not DX'ing to America, we're just talking to our Hoodie mates whilst in convoy, you know the score, "turn right at next lights" " I need petrol" "you've left your indicators on" "Greg your brakes are smoking" (thought I'd get that one in! :D ) etc. we only need to communicate over about 2 miles of motorway. So the rig you want needs to conform to 27/81 (or the later one) not european (different channels) and not the old AM sets. Size is the problem in our small cars, go for a small one and decide wherabouts you're going to mount it, you'll also need the earphones (see our website) as you've no chance of hearing the speaker!

In fact we only use one channel, I'll let you guess which one!

We were fixing Chris N's oil leak this morning and took a break to test the new CB's for the first time. We scanned the channels expectantly and out of the static came our first clear communication. Guess what we heard? "The Fu**ing Fu**er is Fu**ed!" So this is CB coded communications? What could they have been discussing?

The police helicopter flew over us at low altitude, so I selected ch9 and called "HI, BEARS IN THE AIR. ARE YOU RECEIVING ME?" nothing, anybody know if the police monitor CB radio?

PS Peter, I think you have a Star Wars light sabre there mate, be carefull how you "use the force".

• 2 weeks later...
Well lads my rig is installed BUT there is nobody out there!

we don't want anyone out there!! just use when we do use them!

Guess what we heard? "The Fu**ing Fu**er is Fu**ed!" So this is CB coded communications? What could they have been discussing?

thought you said there was no-one out there? this is why we want them to go back to their mobile phones.

anybody know if the police monitor CB radio?
no, they don't.
What range can I expect to transmit over using my CB?

all very dependant on 1. Your aeriel & it's SWR. The amount of buildings, hills, powerlines etc. between you and the "other" person. But on flat 'ish land 3 - 4 miles is not unusual, on the other hand you can get serious "dead spots" where you'll only get 200 yds. (middle of our local town has one)

Thanks Jim,

I have decided on the setup in the picture, because I found it too difficult mounting the CB on top of the tunnel (no drill access). It works very well. I can reach the controls and see the display okay and the mic. is to hand. I have a remote speaker mounted between the seats, both driver and passenger can hear it okay.

post-8-1101668379.jpg

Guest docter fox

im quite confused about all this tech talk, can anyone explain all the terms like swr? can someone translate them or is there an idiots guide to cb radios on the net somewhere?

what are all the different things you need and whats the cheapest i could get all the stuff for?

Thanks

James

OK, for a CB you need one that's FM & legal to 27/81 (it's on a round decal on the CB) or the later one which is 96 I think? Obviously for a Hood, you want a nice small one, as some of them are big & clumsy, think where it's going to go. you then need a tuned aeriel, a bent coat-hanger will just not do. Again there's a problem with Hoods due to where you're going to mount the aeriel, you get 'feed-back' from the surrounding metal eg. the roll-over bar. the easiest aeriel to use on a Hood is the good old DV27, this comes with the mount & cable for around £12- £15.

Right you've screwed the set to the side of the tunnel or wherever, fixed the aeriel to a bracket (the mounting clamp must earth it) and coupled the wires up. (Best to go direct to the battery with the power lines [& fuse] to cut out unwanted interferance)

Next the aeriel needs SWR 'ing BEFORE you can use the set. This is relatively simple to do once you've been shown how to do it. you actually tune the length of the aeriel to give the best performance which is measured on a meter, only small alterations can make it go 'out' far enough to cause the set to 'blow'

I have a remote speaker mounted between the seats, both driver and passenger can hear it okay.
I think that you'll soon find that the ear pieces that we use are better. (see our build tips) also, when you stop, everyone within 200yds will be able to hear your speaker, that wouldn't be very good especially if certain comments are being said!

new Cb's are around £50 upwards, or 2nd hand from £12 (if you're lucky) upward off e-bay.

post-8-1101674715.jpg

Jim,

Our local Mr CB dealer has the earphones in-stock but refuses to sell them to the NE Hoodz! On the grounds that we will deafen ourselves! Too late mate I say. Ehh what was that?

Of course one of our members has gone and wound the guy up by telling him "We have a huge number of second hand CB sets"!

Steve

Guest docter fox

i think iv got most of it understood now apart from this SWR'ing business...

small alterations can make it go 'out' far enough to cause the set to 'blow'

probably best to get someone who knows what there doing to do it then?

:rolleyes: after its set up right i assume you couldnt break it by just turning all the knobs?

its basically making the antenna match the transmitter, by altering its length slightly

evry antenna has a natural resonance, similar sort of thing to a tunning fork

shorten one of those a bit and its res freq goes up

by using an swr meter, you can work out which way you need to go longer or shorted by comparing the reading you get on each end of the and

that any better ? dave r