15" Wheels On An S111a

Guest Dave Pickett

Guest Dave Pickett

Has anyone tried fitting 15" wheels and 195/50 tyres on an S111a? I am looking at some new alloys and would like to go up a size if they will fit without problems.

Before changing I am looking to change the shock absorbers, so the slightly harsher ride from the lower profile tyres should not have too much effect.

Guest ianle

Dave,

I put TSW Razor wheels on my 3a. I needed to get 15x6J (quite rare in aftermarket) to keep the tyre inside the rear wheel arch when the Stott camber correctors are in place. The offset on the front is different than the back so I used a 19mm spacer and longer wheel studs (from Europa). The tyres are Avon ZV1's 195/50/15 (unidirectional tread pattern) plus a bidirectional Yokohama tyre for the spare.

All bought from CAR for £400 for five wheels and tyres - not bad. I've still got the Sierra anti-roll bar on and now with the lower profile tyres (previously 185/70/13) the front suspension actually moves! I've got the tyres under a bit more pressure than before at 22PSI (from 18PSI before) due to the low profile of the tyres and the increased confidence making for more enthusiastic driving!

It has made a huge difference to the handling...

Ian.