Rear Suspension Change

Guest coopsuk

Guest coopsuk

Dear All

I have had a rear suspension problem for a while now (SOFT) on a series 1 ford based Robin. I was considering changing the rear springs for estate type to stiffen it up, however I have recently been working on my friends westfield and he has been having problems, with his rear suspension and we have found worked out that the coil over (adjustable spax) are the wrong length for his car.

So I can have them if I want to use them on mine.

Has anyone done this conversion?

Can anyone tell me where they should be mounted and what work is involved in doing this conversion to an already built car.

Any pictures, advise, measurments (ride height, mounting etc)!

Anything to help me decide if I should do it and how to go about it would be great.

Thanks

Aaron.

Guest salty_monk

Mine has the RHE supplied coilover conversion. Not particularly good as they are underdamped and too soft but the mounting works ok.

If you do a search on here you'll see I've posted pictures before.

Basically the top just mounts straight into the chassis tube & the bottom goes into a U bracket fitted in the bottom of the original spring seat or well.

If you're close enough then pop over for a look.. there are a few about with this setup.

Salty, you'll see that Aarons car is a Series 1 monocoque, not tubey.

Aaron, there are a couple of ways of tacking your rear suspension, you could try fitting those rubber "helpers" that they push between the spring coils, this will stiffen up the rear end. (NOTE: This mod also works well with the earlier 2B's that use the Sierra rear springs)

Then get a set of adjustable shockers to replace the ones that are fitted. (Irish Bob has done this, and has found a big improvement)

Or you could have a go at mounting the coil overs that you can get your hands on, but I doubt if anyone has done that mod before, so you'd be on your own finding out spring loads. In saying that, most spring suppliers will let you "try" them and swap them providing you've not marked them.

Guest irishbob

I have a series 1 Robin Hood on which I have fitted new shockers ( not coilovers) although the shockers have the necessary parts to convert to coilovers ,if springs are purchased. I have not altered the springs supplied with the kit, but the change of shocks has given me a better ride.

The shocks are those supplied to westfields, according to demon tweeks.

They are Spacks which I have also fitted to the front since building the car.

Guest coopsuk

Cheers guys.

I have read though all your idea's and it looks like I have a couple of options open to me, I would probably have just fitted new springs and gone with it but I would really like to do some track time next year and I think adjustable suspension may make a difference, and with my driving I need all the help I can get.

I have done a search on the forum for similar threads as mentioned but after a while my eyes were looking and not seeing so I'll try the search again. If anyone has any photo's laying around of what they have done please send them to me as pictures do make written instructions a lot easier.

Salty, If possible I may just take you up on that offer to come and see yours, where about's are you, PM me if you have a few moment spare with where you are and maybe we could sort something out if that's ok.

Anyway thanks guys for your help and advice.

Will probably have to finish my mates Westfield engine rebuild and get his suspension changed before I do this as he may be a little upset if I leave him with his car sitting on blocks and it's is his garage we are using so I will need his out before mine goes in.

Thanks

Aaron

Guest salty_monk

My car prob isn't relevant to yours as it's 2b but you are welcome to come over any time. I'm in the South East. (J3 M25)

Won't be able to do anything for a week or so though.... (in China)