Hardtop

Joel

Evening All,

There's been a fair bit of interest in removable hard tops over the months, I don't know if anyone else ever got round to attempting one?

Anyway, I finally bit the bullet and started building a primary mould over the weekend. Early days yet, but watch this space.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi

looks good so far

but what a bout giveing it gullwings to make it easyer to get in and out the car?

not my idea tho. i was talking to battrie bill a few weeks back and he said it would be a good idea

just summit to think about while your building yours

olly

Guest salty_monk

I too have thought of building one & decided gullwing was definitely the way forward - no time to make an attempt yet though. Guess I should move my relays & fuses & get the heater plumbed in first!!

• 3 weeks later...

Getting there......slowly. :(

I've spent ages considering the gull wing door thing, and whilst it could be done (and would look seriously cool B) ), I don't think any benefits are worth the shed load extra effort that would be required. So it'll be standard hinge_from_the_windscreen type doors for now I think.

Joel,

You got a fixed scuttle? If not what are you doing to solve the fact that the windscreen moves when you open the bonnet? Or are you just going to remove the top when you open it? Either way how are you fastening it round the screen?

Iain

Iain, I have a fixed scuttle.

I have some U section aluminium which is a good fit over the windscreen frame. I'll mould it into the front lip of the roof, then there'll be some bonnet-clip style securing devices attached at one end to the alu section, and at 'tother to the windscreen pillar. Job's a guddun.

What colour should I make it?

I think it'll be a bit much if it's the same colour as the rest of the car, which is a strong purple. I suppose black is the obvious choice, though I like the silver/grey gelcoat.

Colours HERE