Which Camshaft

steve1506

Guest Battery Bill

Steve

We had to change our camshaft when we rebuilt the Pinto and looked at various options, but when it came down to it it was a lot cheaper to fit a standard cam than a performance jobby :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Yes I know "Cheapskates" :lol:

Guest docter fox

mines got a kent FR32 cam in, its not overly hot but i think anything more and it wouldnt be very good to drive round town, you do notice a small difference at low revs with it if you look carefully but its not bad to trundle around with - all depends on what you will be using the car for? 2nd car?

dave andrews site goes through a list of them here

Guest chris brown

Steve you didn’t say if you have carb or EFI. If you have EFI unless you are going for a replacement programmable ECU then stick with the standard cam and as Bill says it is very much cheaper than a "hot" one. Mine cost £43.24 for full kit.

Me too, I have std 2L with 38DGAS carb.

I was thinking of kent Cam FR31, but no higher or would start to lose tractability. ( See Dave Andrews site for comparisons.)

I was wondering if anyone had used the Hi-torque or Sports torque cams.FR30

These seem to have a power band from 1000 to 6500.

Can anyone advise on how these drive please ?

Thanks.

After the bad customer aftersales sevice received by a couple of our members, don't go to either Burtons or Euro engines for your camshafts. i have previously posted the full info on the problems with these 2 suppliers, you have been warned!

Ive got FR30 cam in my old engine which Ive now taken out of the car. Always had plenty of power on tap around town, but ran out of steam if you started to push thing a bit :boohoo: (like on motorways). :ph34r:

Fitted a FR32 in the new engine hoping for that little more, :wacko: and frist test run's are show that. :D

Chris, would you say the FR30 had more grunt than a standard cam around town, low speed , acceleration through the gears etc ? I presume you mean it ran out of steam above about 70 ?

Would you say it is better than a std cam ? I'm looking for more low down grunt as I want that bit extra without revving the nuts off.

Guest Charles B

I recently fitted a FR32 with lightened flywheel & twin dellortos, and I am very pleased with it. It pulls fine from low down, and runs up to 7000rpm very smoothly.

A vernier cam is essential. I clocked it up, and the standard marks were about 5 degrees out.

I Have just fitted a sports torque cam with a vernier pulley.I found that the cam belt was 1/2 a tooth out without the pulley.The performance is much better than I hoped it accelerates consistently through all the gears very easily. I had to fit special follower pads that Kent cams reccomended and everything up to now is running great. Beware of Burtons if you have a problem they dont want to know. Try Rally design I found them good on service and price. My engine is 2.1 lightened and balanced, lightened flywheel and knackered 2ltr injection head.

www.raldes.co.uk

would you say the FR30 had more grunt than a standard cam around town, low speed , acceleration through the gears etc ?    I presume you mean it ran out of steam above about 70 ?

Would you say it is better than a std cam ? 

Hi John

Yes I think the RF30 cam has more grunt than a standard cam around town, but is still user friendly.

I think the FR30 us to run out of power that the top end on motorways because I had a 4-speed box fitted to the car at the time.

I have try cars fitted with the FR32 cam and a 5-speed box and found that to to have more grunt and thats the way I have gone with my new engine.

John I see that you are fairly local to me if you need more info or details of a good local kent cam suppler who can help you more send me a PM.

All the best

Chris