Header Tank

Guest jwaterman

Guest jwaterman

hi all,

I have a problem, I have fitted my new vulcan engine, had it running, 20 mins into running her up the alternator gives up, so have replaced that, Now i come to drive her and before i even get out of the garage i realise the cooling system isn't getting up to pressure, :gdit: will i ever get to drive my new 160BHP robin hood, GRRRRRRR. :boohoo:

the header tank i have fitted at the moment is off a volvo 740, a nice compact cylinderical unit, fitted on the bulkhead above the rocker cover. When i fitted it first time around the original 740 cap had a pressure of 125kpa (18psi or 1.25 bar) this procceeded to blow my rad apart :( . So few days later at the scrappy i was attempting to remove a sump from a transit and while strugling i bumped my head on a object half buried in the ground, after cursing abit i turned over to remove it and low and behold it was a rad cap that looked identical to my 740 header tank cap but with a pressure of 75Kpa (11ps1 or .75bar) stamped on :D. So cooling system sorted from that moment on.

Now that the cap has given up the ghost i know have a big problem, I don't know what car it came off, neither does my local volvo dealer. does anyone know what i am talking about and know the part i need and where i can get one from???

Or do i have to change the header tank??? If so does anyone have any really good ideas or suggestions on what one to use???

Please help i would really love to drive my newly improved Robin hood, my fingers are itching, :gdit:

thanks in advance

john

Guest chris brown

Take the cap to your local motor factors they should be able to identify it. Just because it fitted a Volvo tank doesn’t mean that is what it came off my guess would be Renault (lots of common or similar parts) but it could be anything.

Guest jwaterman

the cap is a black screw on cap with VOLVO & 75Kpa embossed on it. I have tried all my local and larger motorfactors, no joy, even Volvo no use.

Terry yes sound like the one, are the valves in a brass disc?

john

Guest TerryBarry

75kPa - that sounds like it's off a Volvo 340 - probably with the B14 (1.4litre) engine.

But why doesn't the Volvo dealer recognise it :unsure:

Looks like this in situ

Hope this picture of raw power doesn't offend anyone :rolleyes:

Guest Bob Rowell

Most Volvo 340's were fitted with Renault engines. I have fitted the header tank from a Rover 100 (Metro), still using the standard RH rad, but with the seal and spring removed, so it is just a blank cap.

The tank is quite narrow and fits nicely onto the bulkhead. As it has a 15lb cap fitted the water boiling point is raised. Since carrying out this mod my car hasn't overheated once. Before the mod overheating, and dumping coolant were a daily occurrence.

post-6-1102441533.jpg

ive found it at last!!!

you need to find a 745t, the caps are coloured like this : the green cap is 150kpa. The white cap is 100kpa, and the black/grey cap is 75kpa.

just to be extra geeky here is the part number for the 75kpa one: 1357775 list price is £12.85

go back to the dealers with that and watch them eat their words!!

hth

ste

Guest jwaterman

well guys

i have to say you have all come up top trumps for me today. :D

I thank you all very much for your help and advice, i will go to the volvo dealer tomorrow and get the one i require. I may go for the 100Kpa just to help keep things a little cooler, but i must say i never had any over heatong problems with the 75Kpa one.

I know now what car the cap came off so that helps now end and the part number and price, what more can a chap want. I will be zipping around the norfolk lanes before long, watch out Bob here i come. :o

once again a big THANK YOU.

john

Guest jwaterman

I thought i would visit my scrappy today just on the off chance they may have a volvo with a cap on.

as luck would have it there were 2 340's there, both with the correct cap and 1 was nearly new. so a quid later i was on my way home to sort the car out with both, one as a back up.

cheers all for your help

john