Dvla

Guest Stephen Robertson

Guest Stephen Robertson

Hi Guys

Just had a nice letter from Mr DVLA giving me a £40 fine . Their ecuse was I had not renewed the SORN on the donor.

After Calling them they said "They sent out a reminder but if i didn't get they weren't resposible and i would have to pay the fine".

So just a reminder to everyone with a SORN donor to renew it every year!

Stephen.

Bad luck Stephen, I take it you haven’t yet registered your kit car. Many people who have got there cars on the road and registered the donor as scrap have received a tax reminder on the donor (me included).

Guest Tony Tank

Hi Steve

Yes thats right, :( I have a motor bike which I've not used for a number of years and every December I too get a letter/reminder to SORN it.

Got the letter Friday so I will be doing that this afternoon.

So to everyone be warned they do check up ;) and fine people.

Tank

tell them you sent it back to them and write a complaint that they have lost it and have fined you for their eror, i have done this and it works, you even get a letter of appology. they must get thousands of letters per day so they are bound to misplace one of them.

ste

Guest 2bsprint

The goverment are wanting to charge an additional £5 a car to keep a car on the DVLA database, this will be included in the normal road tax for all vehicles on the road but will be a separate payable charge for SORN cars.... so you will soon have to pay the government to keep a car on your own property!

Guest TerryBarry

The latest Vehicle Licence Application / SORN Declaration reminder contains the following instruction:

""If the vehicle will not be used or kept the the public road put a X in this box [] and sign below. DO NOT SEND TO DVLA, SWANSEA.

Take the form to your nearest re-licencing post office or send to MVL DUTY POST OFFICE ....ALDERSHOT"" (my local one).

When I took my SORN form to the Main Post Office they scanned the bar code, printed a receipt and handed the whole thing back to me.

If you haven't received the reminder a letter of complaint to the DVLA would be in order - might work - will only cost a stamp.

Note to self - next one due April 2005 :ph34r:

Guest salty_monk

Just blame the post office. If you posted it in good faith but the DVLA never got it then that's their fault.... (unless of course there isn't an option to do that as someone says above...)

Guest Jon 2B+

Stephen,

What phone number did you use? I could only get recorded messages.

I have just had a letter for a £40 fine too. The DVLA are also demanding back tax. Irritating thing is I applied for SORN on the same form as I applied for the refund of the tax. (v33 as I lost the tax disc!).

I duly received the refund, a few weeks later, but clearly the SORN bit of the form has never been processed. The back tax they want is from the date of the refund! total of £67.50. £20 more than my refund.

The letter I got also suggests I have ignored reminders to buy tax. Of course I never got any becasue the tax never 'ran out'. They refunded it.

I am awaiting a response to my angry letter...

Jon

I had a motorbike back in 1978. Do i need to declare SORN on it?

What happened to the silent C in SORN =ScORN- which is what I hold this

government in.

Angry ex Labour supporter

Kevin

PS- And they locked the tax free classic car date :gdit: :gdit: :gdit:

Guest 2bsprint
I had a motorbike back in 1978. Do i need to declare SORN on it?

Technically No, if it was off the road before the SORN law came in you do not have to SORN your vehicle.

However, I would because otherwise they will assume that it has been scrapped and they haven't been notified and you could lose your registration mark - ie. if they think it will have a value as a private plate they will re-issue it. Hence it could cause you a big headache when you try and put it back on the road yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest irishbob

i had taken my car of the road for the first time in eight years ,they sent me the refund and said it was sorn for a year. that was from oct 2000 i just ignored it and they sent me a fine for £40 . i wrote and told them i had declared sorn when i got refund but didnt mention the fact that they had put 2000 on form instead of 2004. havent had any reply ,hope they take me to court and then i can show the receipt. i dont think they would allow you to sorn something from 4 years ago.