What Do You Do?

Guest docter fox

Guest Bob's Babe

Confused woman back again.

:wacko: Tim did QS at HND as a mature student (25) with only geology and general studies at A level......he got a U at maths and an X at physics :p

Explains a lot I suppose!!!

I still stick by the idea that you get the best out of what you enjoy learning the most! I hated maths, got a D, loved history, got a B. Hated Economics but passed the degree because I put loads of history options into it!

SUE :wub:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest grahamdale5

I am working on various continuous improvement project that involv upgrading the utilities on site so that they can cope with any increase in production during the next 5 years, but my main task at the moment is starting a new warehouse build to the value of €5m.

My role involves all the order placing, liaising with the local authorities, negotiation with supplier, clark of works on the site once the work starts, co-ordination with the production staff to ensure lost time is kept to a minimum, and all to arrange any training that is needed at the end of the contract.

Guest Bob Rowell

I like to be different, I have three jobs!. I do 3 days a week out on the road as a photo agent for AutoTrader. One day a week running the pictures computer section in the AutoTrader office. Then one day(but sometimes more) servicing and repairing cars, MoT work etc.

I only work on the cars of personal friends, family and work collegues (no "customers" as such) yet I am busy throughout the year. I enjoy every day, regardless of which job I am doing.

Before the present varied working life I spent 10 years working for Lotus Cars, the last five of them as Senior Road Test Inspector. A dream job but very pressured. Mind you I started at Lotus as a floor sweeper! like Darren (Capt Daz) said - reach for the moon, aim high. If you don't you'll never realise your true potential.

As what you decide, good luck.

James, a friend of my daughters recently did an Automotive engineering course at Oxford Brooks, seems to have enjoyed it they even built a Tiger as part of it. He says though if you want to get into motor sport you need to try to get some experience with the teams/companies early on otherwise it is hard to try to get anywhere.

Good luck. Peter.

ps. Red 7, is there a lot of demand now for autocad? I thought 3D modelling was replacing it rapidly. I started in a big D.O. with pencils and pretty coloured inks. I remember the day when one of the older draughtsmen launched a blazing paper dart at his mate only to set fire to 3 months work. The dart man ended up running the whole office! :o

Guest Battery Bill

OK 23 years as an Aircraft Technician in the RAF then 3 years on Tucano's now working in a "Dog food factory" :lol: :lol: Now thats a career change if I have ever seen one :rolleyes:

The Money is good and the work is pretty interesting "Not What I am used to at all", Only problem is they want you to do overtime :boohoo: :boohoo: And I don't want too. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But Things might change soon :ph34r:

Guest Andybarbet

Well, i was an electrical draughtsman for 10 years (straight from school) but working for very small company so very low paid ! I loved the job but when mortgage and kiddies started to arrive, i needed more cash and couldn't get a drawing job as they wanted CAD experience and i was using pencils and a drawing board !

At 25 i couldnt get a job as 18 year olds had more computer experience than me !!

Ended up getting a lot more pay for ................... making safety flooring (Lino to you and me) in a factory ! im still there now after 6 years but am desperately looking for another job to get my brain working again, problem is at 31 years old, my options are limited and where i am at the mo is quite secure. Any ideas anyone ?

I also work shifts so college courses are difficult to fit in, still - the kit build is keeping my brain active if that helps... :-)

red 7,

what is CATIA? The automotive & aerospace standard 3D CAD system.

out of the 13+22+7, how much is taken by the worker? All of it.

would i have to draw much by hand? No

do you have any examples of your designs? Yes, What would you like to see?

im restoring a hood, does that count? :p Yes

Guest 2bsprint

I thought that autoCad was on the way out :lol:

Seriously - where my mate works now, they have got rid of all their draughties and bought an A0 scanner. They hand sketch drawings/alterations scan them send them to India and when they come in the next morning all the drawing are waiting for them drawn in autoCad. It will be very sad if that is the way it goes everywhere.

Dredd! Out of the closet at last!!

No prizes for my profession! And yes I would thoroughly recommend it. I have done many different things and can even claim to have patrolled the M25 for a few years as well. Sometimes we took the car into second gear.

What do you call 1000 solicitors at the bottom of the sea?

A good start! ;) :p :p Only kidding guys !

CAD work.

We are as busy as we have ever been. But if clients are short sighted enough to send their draughting to India, well then we are stuffed. :boohoo: I have heard a lot of software code is also going to India.

Britain was once a great engineering nation. Blah blah blah.

The Royal Navy are about to embark on the biggest construction program in many years. We have two aircraft carriers (CVF) to build for the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF). We also need a fleet of Auxilliary Ships and a Hospital Ship. This work is paid for by the British tax prayer and must be done in the U.K. It has been rumoured Mr Blair would like to buy the ships from the USA because of our "special relationship". Bxxxicks.

AutoCAD have joined up with the leading 3D CAD system PDMS. I think we will see a transition to more 3D modeling.

bugsy,

sounds quite interesting, especially the home cinema, do you get to take things home? 

is there many jobs like that? what qualifications?

dint mean to sound rude but is the pay good?

It is a good job if you don’t mind the travelling and not knowing where you will be going the next week.

You don’t get to take things home (much) you do however get a pretty good discount on home cinema stuff.

There are more and more people doing it now as the technology is getting cheaper every day, Two years ago there were not many people who could afford a Plasma TV, now they sell them at Curry’s Etc for under a grand.

As for qualifications you don’t need any if you are prepared to start at the bottom on a crappy wage and work your way up,

I have no formal Qualifications as such, just messed about at Oldham Technical College for Two years on a BETEC Drama and Stage Management course, which was a scream!

As for the pay, Can't complain.

Bugsy

Have a look clicky this is where i work.

Good luck

Guest 2BBoulton

I recently tried to change my career as I sensed my redundancy coming and decided to try and get into the police.

Its something I had always wanted to do but had never bitten the bullit. I managed to pass :D the selection proccess but unfortunatly so did the rest of the applicants :boohoo: only with a higher score and I am now on the Wiltshire waiting list :angry: and will have to re-apply in 12 months time but I plan to get a higher pass mark then :D

Bruce

Join the Specials for the experience, or become a Police Community Support Officer. The pay is not brilliant, but is an excellent way to get into the job, albeit not guarenteed.

Guest docter fox

iv thought about police too :ph34r: what kind of pay is it to start off with? many oppurtunities for promotion? i quite like the sound of the traffic section and being in the cars :) but what sort of things would you do during the day? as you probably cant drive around all day? can you? :D although id quite like the arresting people and armed response units.... and the detective stuff.... (il try and look into it further)

swan junior,

im great at remembering where i put stuff but if anyone else tidies up il never find it! but how much would your average normal library librarian get?

mark and other QS type people,

il look into this further and have a look at different courses

I got an A in English and maths at GCSE and im doing English at A level but not maths

nishka,

my GCSE maths teacher was a **** and partly the reason why i didnt want to do it any further, is it maths for the sake of maths or are you actually working something out?

bloke,

im doing A levels to keep my options open but dont know what to do after :unsure:

bob rowell,

you must have been at sweeping floors :o what qualifications do you have to progress to senior road test inspector? why did you leave?

peter,

i think id definately enjoy it but think the hard thing would be finding a good job at the end of it, what kind of stuff would you recomend to get involved with? competing or mechanic type things?

red 7,

could i see a simple one and a complicated one please? :rolleyes:

enforcer (work related?),

2nd on the motorway sonds fun :D what car were you in?

can you just patrol the roads? (what does that involve?) or do you have to do other things aswell? (what?)

bugsy,

AV HIRE TECHNICIANS

Available at various locations throughout the UK.

theres a couple of centres in york and one in hull which would is good

what kind of money is a cr*ppy wage?

would it be best to wait until im older to contact them or do it now? (and say what?)

Style, simplicity and total reliability are the two key factors in a Home Cinema system
isnt that three?

on the hone cinema section under control

2bboulton

is the selection process hard? what kind of questions?

lot of questions but i think its helping