Registration

Guest Guy

Hi All,

Being a new hand in the kit car thing I have no idea about the registration process. When do I get the SVA?, can I use the numberplate from my donor?, What number do I stamp on my chassis? I still have the V5 from the donor but the shell is in a scrap yard, do I declare it as scrapped.

Is there a good step by step guide to all these things. I've looked at http://www.totalkitcar.com/tech_registration.shtml but I still have questions.

Check my progress on www.guyspad.freeserve.co.uk

Guest Taffy Rob

Hiya

the registration guide on total kit car is probably the best I've found, so I won't redirect you elsewhere. But here's what I did

Don't declare the donor scrapped, do fill out a SORN though!

I applied for SVA when I was confident that it would be ready within a fortnight, although I suspect waiting times will get longer further into the summer. You get the forms by phoning or emailing Swansea, like the registration forms but a different number. Same guy who doesn't know his ar5e from his elbow though.

The numberplate thing is a bit iffy depending where you go (I believe?), but you should get one the same year if you use bits from the same donor.

And make up your own VIN, some registration offices seem dodgy about this but once you've done it tough, use

ROBINHOOD and the year

03 and the model

2B or SK and finally your receipt number, giving you, for example

ROBINHOOD032B1234 a nice 17 figure VIN.

You can make up anything, but I thought I'd go along with the convention cos it would make me a part of the in crowd so to speak :p :p !

Hope this helps

Rob

Guest Angel Boy
And make up your own VIN, some registration offices seem dodgy about this but once you've done it tough, use

ROBINHOOD    and the year

03    and the model

2B or SK    and finally your receipt number, giving you, for example

ROBINHOOD032B1234    a nice 17 figure VIN.

Guy,

Be careful with the making up your own VIN thing. It is all very dependant upon your local VRO office.

Mine insisted that I have an inspection carried out by the boys in blue who then allocated me with a VIN from there database even though I asked to use the Robin Hood one I had created. I tried to fight my case etc but at the end of the day you have to go with what your local VRO say (or go elsewhere).

I applied for the chasis number early and it all got resolved even though the car was only about 60-70% complete. This meant I could arrange insurance etc early without rushing and making sure I had everything covered come SVA/MOT time.

Each VRO office is different though, call your local one and talk with them about how they work things. If they are like mine they tend to have a single person dedicated to dealing with kitcars and was v happy to help when I had any questions.

For your info my local VRO/SVA was Beverley, East Yorks.

Same applies to the SVA if you are unsure about anything that you are proposing to build call the centre you are going to use. They can advise you on their interpretation, so come SVA time you should be ok.

HTH.

Andy

<edit>

Life would be a little easier if RHE issued chasis numbers upon collection. For the sake of an extra 10-20 quid I would have been happier and it would have made life so much easier.