Bonnet Catch

Guest neil gale

Guest neil gale

One failure point was the bonnet catch - a cover is required for them when in the closed position.

They are the standard RH supplied stainless over centre catches, but i cant find anywhere that sells a cover??

Does anyone have a cover or know where i can get one asap???

Cheers, Neil.

Hi Neal

You will probably have to make somthing up. Ian from Chorley used strips of leather cloth sewn onto them.

Or you could change them for the SVA friendly rubber ones as sold by the company that sells the demisters (car builders solutions?) RHE now sell them at £12 a pair i can recommend them as i have them fitted (but paid £16 a pair :( )

HTH

Mitch

Guest Fred2b

If you have the crocodile bonnet fitted as per the Rh video I would not rely only on the bonnet catches on the side. They are very unreliable at speed and under vibration!

I have heard of one owner whose bonnet flew open on the motorway causing big damage to the car and his face. Do yourself a favour and fit the bonnet catch from the Sierra into the nosecone, it is much safer and quite easy to do.

For the SVA you just have to take the over centre catches off and fit them afterwards if you like the look.

Regards

Fred

Guest neil gale

Fred

I already have the sierra bonnet catch in the nosecone and it works well, but the side clips just take up that bit extra tension and reduce the rattles and vibration

maybe i should just lose the clips for the test then???

Neil

Guest minty

HI NEIL ,

I had just the same problem . I used a bit of the rubber trim off the Sierra (we called it Tony - after Hancock and the blood DONOR ---- sad I know) .

Somewhere on the car there was a tube of foamy rubber about three-quarters of an inch in diameter - but slightly rectangular in section - can't remeber where it was on the car .

I cut a length of 4 inches - now cut a hole in the "back" about midway - then cut into the back at the "top" . The centre hole accepts the clips in their "together" position - they are then opened "inside" the tube - the top cut out is where the over-centre catch hooks onto the bonnet mounted catch .

This sounds right complicated - but it wasn't !

post-9-1053701257.jpg

Neil,

I used the RHE supplied bonnet catches covered with Westfield supplied Rubber Covers. The covers were a tight fit and needed warming up a little to get them on. I went to the SVA re-test with them fitted and the examiner put a tick in the appropriate box and then took them off to open the bonnet. I put them in my pocket, and they never went back on the car. They cost about 50p each plus postage. If you e-mail me your address I will post them to you.

I also fitted a catch in the nose cone for extra saftey just in case the exterior catches come loose or I forget to close them properly.

Richard

I have the donor bonnet catch fitted, with safety catch. At SVA today I asked if I should fit over centre catches on the sides as well to stop the sides of the bonnet lifting. The reply was that yes they are a good idea, but not until I have been SVA passed, otherwise covering them was more trouble than it's worth.

The alternative is the SVA approved ones from "Car builder solutions" amoungst other places.

On the Westfield ones - I rung them several weeks back and the person I spoke to denyed all knowledge of them existing!

Ant