Speed Cameras

Guest Julian B

Guest Julian B

Hi all

I had this emailed to me by a friend. Make of it what you will but i guess its genuine.

> > Subject: New M4 speed cameras

> >

> >

> > We should ALL take note

> >

> > As of the 14th July 2003 information boards CONTAINING SPEED CAMERAS

> that

> > calculate average speed over 1 mile sections will go live on the M4

> (Wales).

> > These cameras continually re-asses your speed and are linked to the DVLA

> etc

> > and can issue fines / points. They have been on trial for a while but

> now

> > they go live.

> >

> > Please pass onto any one who may use the Wales stretch of the M4

Bummer eh

:unsure:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon,

that's correct, but maybe my speedo calibration has gone out a bit since SVA as the needle goes well over 70 now, or it might be that my car has more power cos i'm not that heavy. :D :D

Still, that won't help with those cameras though.

Les

Jon,

haven't put my foot down yet, still taking it easy after rebuild.

Revs mainly kept below 3,500 but that'll take it to 85, oops, sorry mr plod, must be my speedo error again. :D :D

Have got to fit a stop behind the accelerator pedal so when I do put my foot down I don't stretch or snap the cable.

Les.

Guest Rob Walters

This thing about the average speed on the speed camers, I heard they were trialing it but I did not know it was going to be used from July, then agian every time I go on the M4 I am luck if the traffic lets you go above 65, but the stretch from Wales is less crouded.

Two things I have heard about speed cameras (true or not, I don't know) but if one was to spary hair spray on the number plate then if you get flashed by a camera the hair spray acts like a mirror and reflects the flash and the number plate can not be read.

The other get out is to ask for the calibration certificate for the camera, they are suposed to have a calibration routine but the frequency of these and the accuracy of what they calibrate against is questionable.

Personally I just took the speeding fines

Guest daveg

All

Did you know that if you are going over 155m.p.h you cannot be done :p well thats with the olde camera...the first flash goes off and when the next flash goes off you are nowhere to be seen :D

BUT make absolutely sure you are going over 155 'cause you might end up behind bars (or in Broadmoor)

You could use the solenoid from the electric door locks to make a flip up number plate :p but do that after sva B)

Dave

Guest cjbailey
You could use the solenoid from the electric door locks to make a flip up number plate :p but do that after sva B)

Don't think that'd be much use on the island, there can't be that many robin hoods, and especially not that many with young drivers in! Not that the island police would work that out!!!

Guest Brynjon

Regarding the hair spray antics - it won't work. The camera enforcement lot have had many an attempt turned into fits of laughter. I have seen folk with gadgets fitted and extra film over the plates and stuff. ANPR is the thing of the future. It can read a number plate in the daylight and not need a flash to recognise a plate. Goes back to central command around the world and back in seconds and you have to hope you have paid your car tax.

I am sure everyone on the board are decent law abiding citizens anyway.

As mentioned in an earlier post what are you doing speeding in your nice little run around anyway. The faster you are going the less admiring glances you get!! May as well wear a balaclava or drive a run of the mill Boxter if you are just in it for the speed.

Thats my opinion anyway. Pics of my beast will appear here soon.

Regards and lets be thankful for sunny days. Bryn

Guest Mr Pid

But Chris seeing as you can alledgedly walk the entire length of the island in a day, surely by the time you have gathered a respectable speed then you would be either floating in the solent or on your way to france?! :rolleyes:

Stu

Guest cjbailey

Well... I have never tried, but on my route to work I *ahem* know various *ahem* people that have managed to get over *ahem* 100 (and thats in things like clio's etc. the type that max out at 105 or so, there was even a fiesta that managed to hit 90!!!), but of course I'd never dream of doing anything like that, expecially not on public roads ;) ). The road isn't particularly straight though, and you tend to get lots of nasty sharp corners where people like coming towards you on the wrong side of the road :angry: !