Wind-deflector

Guest Mike G

Guest Mike G

I have seen a picture somewhere of a polycarbonate wind deflector along the top of a Seven windscreen. Being a bit taller than most, I wish my car had a higher screen, so that the top of my head did not continually get a battering on windy days. Woolly hats and other tied-on head-gear are fine, but I was thinking that a shield along the top of the screen would help this.

Making one is not the problem, but the biggest snag is probably securing it - cannot bolt it to the flimsy windscreen frame, so possibly small special G-clamps?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Mike G

Guest micky bigthumbs

Mike you can try lifting your screen on the mounts and making an infill underneath a couple of 6ft 3" to 6ft 5" guys have done this there was a thread last month i was going to do it someone posted pics i'll have a look

Mick

Guest racer

jUST MY TWO PEN'ORTH............ I recently fitted wind deflectors to my Locost screen pillars .I got fed up with the wind blowing into my right eye . There is,I reckon about 75% improvement ,but now the wind hits me in the side of head ,as it whips round the deflector ,tries to lift my hat off ! Still doesnt convince me I need proper side screens tho' ! Btw ,I'm using rh screen surround on home made pillars -much better than the aero screens I originally had on there .

Guest Mike G

Thanks guys, that's given me a few ideas to be getting on with. Would admit to not having thought of raising the whole screen, but as the original owner has sited it too far forward anyway, I might just as well kill several birds with the one stone!

Cheers

Mike G

Guest alan rowe

I've just recently bought myself a full face crash helmet (in yellow of course) for those windy and cold days to keep the wind out of my ears and side of the face

A

Guest alan rowe

and its got a black visor - Dave, i hope you're not saying my cars gay as well - i was looking forward to you coming out in my "yellow peril" - are you OK in yellow

Guest Mike G

Just to up-date you guys, I ended up with raising the frame & screen by about 2 inches or so, using a decent plank of wood which I carved into the necessary shape to fit the peculiar profile needed. Umpteen coats of paint to follow! Also, reinforced the entire thing with additional metal (necessitated by the extra height, and also fitted a new standard windscreen. The original was badly marked and the previous owner kindly passed a spare on to me - so why not press it into service? The old one can go into stock, just in case.... I junked the daft cut-off self-tappers, and installed small nuts & bolts around the frame, plus other much longer screws securing it to the wood, and the wood to the body.

To finish off, I fitted sidescreens (to keep Mrs G happy!). To be honest, the combination of a higher screen & the sidescreens does keep the wind out of my face, but now I get a draft around my back - can't have it all ways, I suppose!

Cheers

Mike G