It Came Off In My Hand!

Guest red7

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for going to all that effort Chris N. Tonight I removed the nose cone then stripped off the engine manifold, disconnected all the lectrics and carb connections. Tomorrow I'll remove the carbs, fuel line and get the engine mounts loose. I'll wait for Saturday to drain the engine oil, coolant and remove the radiator. Then it's out with the big bits!

Do you think I could put it up on ramps and cut the floor with my angle grinder? I have done this in the past to improve the clearance between the sump and the floor plate.

Good luck Steve.

Hope you don't need new prop.

Cant offer any advisce I'm afraid, although I have same setup as Chris I didn't fit it.

Apart from cutting floor, metal blade in jigsaw should do the trick.

Guest docter fox

it cant be a good feeling having something light that come off in your hand whilst driving :(

hope you get everything sorted ok, the thinner cutting discs work a lot better to cut through the monocoque in the angle grinder than the usual type

ps liking the stickers on the garage door :lol:

Steve, the 5 speed box is about 1" longer than the 4 speed, the fifth gear is an afterthought fitted in a sandwhich plate between the tailshaft and the main box. So you may possibly have to either shorten the prop or move the engine forward a bit.

And sorry to be a pedant Chris but it is not a panhard rod you have but more of an upper link. A panhard would go across the car to prevent sideways axle movement.

Peter

And sorry to be a pedant Chris but it is not a panhard rod you have but more of an upper link.  A panhard would go across the car to prevent sideways axle movement.

Peter

Peter

Whats in a name :rolleyes: All I know is it works better than that other thing ;)

Guest TerryBarry

That original link looks like a track rod end screwed into a rubber bushing.

The Micra had a dead axle with four link location, coil springs and telescopic dampers. Some models had a stabiliser bar between the two modified lower arms.

Hi Terry

That right they are. I have cut and shorted the links by 2" put a rod down the center and weld them back up again to add strength it was a common mod to the S7 rear axle from 94/95.

The original link bolted to a bracket above the tunnel on the rear firewall and the track rod end bolted into the top of the diff case.

nicking Red7 topic with all this OPPSS :wub:

Edited by chris n