Windscreen For Series 3

Guest Griff

Guest Griff

New or used windscreen Urgently required for space in frame.

My old screen imploded on me yesterday at 90mph on a trackday :o

Passenger and myself were unmarked due to wearing helmets overalls and gloves.

I wouldn't like it to happen without wearing a helmet and it has made me think hard about what to wear in future, there was no time to react let alone close your eyes!!!!!!!!!

If anyone has got a spare screen or details about them let me know.

The picture shows the car on the way back to the pits without the screen :boohoo:

regards Griff

post-18-1115568200.jpg

Guest Griff

Thanks for that but it doesn't look like the right shape, mine is squarer at the sides rather than angled and without the shaping in the bottom corners as the frame is straight. I'll have a closer look in the next couple of days.

Does one screen fit all hoods or are there variations????????????

Regards Griff

Guest chris brown
Does one screen fit all hoods or are there variations
I'd allays assumed that they were all the same. Griff have you thought of getting a laminated one? A mate of mine had a Landrover one cut down (by Arch Motors the Cateringvan builders) it was more expensive than a RHE one but at least it wont just shatter he also had the choice of tint as well.

easist way, is to make a cardboard template of the glass, in this case you would have to strip it down and make one to suit the frame, take template to a local glass or windscreen suppliers and get one made.

Windscreens cannot be sent by post so you need to look local

HTH

Mitch

Guest TerryBarry

Many, many, many moons ago I can remember taking a cardboard template to a local (SW16) glass supplier who cut a replacement laminated windscreen for a 1935 Morris 12.

There most be someone who can supply the same service today

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Chris,

Any idea what the cost of a laminated screen would be today ??

It's got to be a better idea than the toughened one supplied to fit in a flimsy aluminium frame

Cheers,

Terry

Guest Griff

For the moment i'm going to bid on the ebay item, its not too far away and the highest bidder at present is from Germany!

Regards griff

Guest chris

:o I would not fit anything other than a laminated screen following the experience I had.The screen shattered at approx 70mph and how the shards of glass missed my face/eyes I do not know!You should see the mess it made of my roll bar.I got one made at my local windscreen place and it cost approx £40.I just took the frame in and he cut and fitted the glass,it came with a nice green tint to it aswell

You have all been warned,someone will loose any eye or worse :(

regards chris