Stereo

Guest paul mercer

Guest SteveL
:angry: Steve

i had about 450 quids worth of kit, supposedly hidden, most of it in the chained up boot of a saloon cavalier. It wasn't obvious any of it was there, but if you live near the sort of people we do, if they hear it playing, come hell or high water it won't last long. In one night, off went a mini disc head unit, a pair of 3 way 6x9s, a 760W amp and 2 10" subs in a double box, a hell of a lot for one person to carry: THEY DON'T NECCESSARILY WORK ON THEIR OWN :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: - m****r f*****g c**ts. (they did leave a big blob of blood, which brought up a name, but we've heard nothing for about 10 months since. So don't rely on the police to sort anything, my appologies to useful members of the force)

Your situation might'nt be the same, but I'd be cautious putting that sort of money into a hood.

Still, good luck with it. sounds like you've got some good kit at a bargain price.

Morty

P.S Paul should you be interested in weatherproof speakers, sony do a line of marine speakers, with some sort of plasticy type cones and such like. Might be worth pursuing.

Fortunately, where I live is a very quiet willage. It's the sort of place where the postie arrives in the morning, leaves boxes on the doorstep all day, and they're still there when we get home (even if they're marked "Virgin Wines" in big letters!)

That, and the car being in an alarmed garage should mean it's fairly safe.

Cheers

Steve

PS. No, I'm not giving my address out, so you can drink my wine! :D

So, somewhere in Bramley, near Basingstoke (your signature! :o ) is a house that frequently has cases of wine sat outside all day. Nice! How big is Bramley?

:D

Daz

Guest SteveL
So, somewhere in Bramley, near Basingstoke (your signature!  :o  ) is a house that frequently has cases of wine sat outside all day.  Nice!  How big is Bramley?

A couple of thousand houses, with more appearing every day (or so it seems!). I think I'm fairly safe, unless the guys who've visited me do the dirty and gives out my directions! :angry:

Steve

PS. Daz, how did you do your boot? Care to elaborate in the thread I started?

PPS. There appear to be quite a few pages empty on your build site. Where did they go?

The website suffered from a spell of 'Couldn't-be-arsed-itis'. I went back to it and realised I had forgotten how to do some of the things I was doing, forgot templates, etc, and gave up for a while as being far too difficult. I plan to go back and finish it off sometime, especially as I am back working on the car again. Give me a bit of time.

The 'lost' pages were never there to start with. I set up the structure and was populating the site as I went along. I just stopped when I moved house :unsure:

Daz

Guest paul boatman

I fitted the speakers in the side panel just in front of where the chassis cross member on the floor is - but i have panelled the sides in - doesn't really work though - anything above 20mph and you can't hear them - so i've wired in a headphone socket on the dash and use small ear phones. Also serves to reduce the exhaust noise which can get tiring on long journeys (but it doesn't reduce it much!!)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mr Pid

I cant see a problem with fitting stereos, there is so much damn traffic on the roads u never really get to let the car fly these days, you need a stereo whilst in traffic, they also help by giving out traffic reports as well.

But anyway, wot do you do about parking the car up? I myself have spent quite a few pennies on stereo gear for my hood, but wot is the best way to stop it from going walkies?

I mean think about it it doesnt take a minute to unscrew a speaker, expecially if your car gets known to the local scum for being a bit tasty!

Unless you put stupid and odd looking bars across everything and bolt them from behind (like they do in halfords) its not that hard to remove steoreo gear.

So wot can we do? :huh:

Guest 2BBoulton

If they want it then they will take it!

If you have a car with door and windows then they just get smashed and the gear nicked.

The only thing to do is to try and find unbadged speaker grills and have a head unit with a removable front and don't turn up in car parks with the stereo blaring, a sure sign of having a decent sound system.

I bought a stereo (cheap) that had a detachable face, I guess the rest of teh unit is pretty useless without it... the other possibilty is to not use the basic mounting and have it connected to a security bar or something behind the dash so that it can't just be pulled out?