Floating Engine

Guest Mike G

Guest Mike G

Hi Guys

When my Exmo went in for its MOT, the proprietor (who does the tests) said that he thought the engine moved too much from side to side. Nothing appeared broken, loose or worn out, so he passed it. Obviously the Sierra engine mounts allow this movement. The engine is a 1600cc Pinto.

Questions: Is the side-to-side movement desirable, and can it be controlled by a hyraulic damper as fitted to early Minis for example?

Cheers

Mike G

Guest Paul S Usowicz

Mike

I stabilised my Pinto by replacing the Pinto mounts with Zetec mounts. They needed a spacer making but it hardly moves at all now. I'll post some piccys when I get home tonight.

Cheers

Paul S Usowicz

Guest Paul S Usowicz

Mike

Sorry for the delay in getting the picture up but here it is. As you can see I have a Zetec engine mount and a huge aluminium spacer. They were expensive and I had the spacers made longer to get the engine aligned horizontally.

Cheers

Paul S Usowicz

post-6-1117795160.jpg

The Exmo should have engine mounts like in the photo, these are the same as fitted to the 4x4 sierra, and are bloody expensive if you go to Uncle Henry's for them. If it has the "jelly" mounts from the later sierra (& it shouldn't!) then I believe there are "stiffer" ones. someone will come up with a part number I'm sure.

(Add a photo of yours to your original post)

post-6-1117798637.jpg

Guest Paul S Usowicz

Ah, didn't realise it might be a different rubber.

As for the bonnet, I am making one myself out of aluminium as I have raised the nose cone slightly. I still might need a slight bulge here and there though!

Cheers

Paul S Usowicz

Guest Mike G

I've just found a piccy of what I had in mind to tame the floating lump! This one was in an article of someone fitting a Zetec engine into a Fiesta. He readily acknowledged that the dramatic increase in power might cause the engine to leap around under the bonnet!

Anyone know where the tie-bar can be bought? Looks a bit like the tie-bars I fitted to my Exmo instead of the old Sierra anti-roll bar.

Cheers

Mike G