Unsure About Buyer

Guest mbate

Guest mbate

Help, i have advertised my car on loot and recieved a dodgy e-mail from a gentleman who say's he is interested in my car, he has asked me to forward my bank details and he will get his english friend to pay a draft in to my account and then he will pick it up for shipping in 3 days times, i think it's scam, has any one come across this before????

This is a scam, it's tried regularly, I'm surprised that you've never heard of it before, either ignor him & "block sender" or tell him that his ISP details have been forwarded to the Police, who in turn are forwarding them to Interpol (it's usually a Foreigner!)

• 1 month later...

Bit late to this topic, but can someone explain what exactly happens with this kind of scam? They transfer money to the seller which is an overpayment, right? How exactly does that help the would-be buyer???

Ant

Ok - that's a bit clearer. I can see how the whole cheque thing works. What about bank transfers? Do they have to "clear" like a cheque does?

The reason I ask is that some bloke from Israel has just phoned me at work (having tracked down my number on my work's web pages, via my e-mail address) wanting to buy my corvette. He was very polite, very organised, and full of different offers for how he could send the money to me in pretty much any format I asked for. Eventually I told him I simply wasn't prepared to sell the car to someone who I see as a risk, and whether he liked it or not I thought he was a risk. At that point he suddenly put the phone down. Yesterday he was bidding on the car on ebay. He is zero rated, joined eBay the day I put it up for sale, and claims to be coming to the UK on the same day as the auction ends. I asked for his address and phone number, and he gave me an address in London, and a phone number in Israel. Later yesterday I cancelled his bids, and that's when he decided to phone me. I wonder why he didn't use my mobile number which is on the advert?

Anyhow, I'm not taking any risks. I'm just intreagued how exactly he's intending to scam me. If he's trying to scam me, that is. Anyhow, not a risk worth taking.

Ant

Guest stu205

WISE CHOICE!!

i think the simple rule is stay well away from people who say there coming from another country with a load of cash to buy your car

I had one didnt even ask any questions about the car just how he was sending me the"minimum ammount" he could from his transfer account and could i send the difference! I worry about the people who must fall for it i rearly do!

Guest TerryBarry

I've been told that there are some very good forgeries of banker's drafts and building society cheques out there - Can you trust anyone these days :gdit:

Guest Bob's Babe

Personally I would take cash or wait to see the new bank balance before parting with anything in these sort of circumstances!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

SUE :wub:

My mate thought he'd try out one of these"buyers" for his car. The money appeared in his account, but it was withdrawn after he said he'd posted a cheque to the "shipping company" at the buyers request. His bank told him he could draw on the money in his account, but it would take 3 more days for the amount to clear, and if it didn't, any money he'd taken from this amount, he would have to cover. In the end he had a diferent couple turn up an hand over the cash, which was nice....

Nicko

Guest ColinR

You need to watch out for cash too, there's an awful lot of funny money out there and you could end up answering awkward questions from Mr Plod. You lose the cash without compensation too.

Then there is also money laundering, I'm not sure about private transactions, but businesses are obliged to report any cash transactions over £9k.

You need to be careful about disclosing your location. A neighbour of mine had a concours Daimler for sale, the one based on the Mk 2 Jag. Some punters turned up to see it and declined the purchase. The next day the car went missing from the garage never to be seen again.