Speed Cameras

Guest Vic & Wendy

Guest Vic & Wendy

:angry: I've just seen this weeks issue of Motor Cycle News and on page 5 there's an interesting article "SPEED CAMERA CATS EYES". as if it isn't already bad enough with the currant range of technology the sneeky B******d's come up with another way of getting you. This device works on the same principle as SPECS digital cameras, it monitors your speed between two fixed points. Although this is onlyat it's experimental stage it could be introduce in the near future.

Oh deep bloody joy

Vic

Guest rhetorical-oracle

I shouldn't worry about it Vic. Once Big Brother Tony introduces his plan to fit all cars with black boxes to measure how far you drive, it'll only be a short hop to continually measuring how fast you drive!

Guest stu205

theres a simple answer guys DONT SPEED!!!!! it rearly is that simple lets face it it dosent get you anywhere quicker these days apart from points or in court for killing a kid on the road, dont forget if you are in an accedent that the police are called to and they measure you skid marks etc and find you were speeding the insurance wont cough up anyway its just not worth it

save it for the track

3 points + £60 = £300 quid a year on your insurance for that you can have 3 days at anglesea for god sake!!

Guest Paul S Usowicz

I'll get in quick before it gets nasty...

I generally keep to the speed limits but several things annoy me including...

1) A 30MPH limit on an A-road because of several houses in the middle of nowhere (the limit extends well past the 'danger' zone').

2) Still having to do 70MPH on a clear motorway at 2AM coming home from work with no other cars for miles.

3) People who think that the national speed limit on A/B roads is 50MPH (Its 60!)

4) People who say 'Speed Kills'. No it doesn't. I did 139MPH once and I didn't die. Its the crashes that kill. Sure speed accentuates the damage but speed itself does not kill.

5) Poeple who are a danger on the road regardless of the speed they are driving at

I had better stop there and calm down ;-)

Guest stu205
3) People who think that the national speed limit on A/B roads is 50MPH (Its 60!)

and its also 70mph on a dual carriage way with a crash barrier!!!!

Guest Handlebars

re. A/B roads 60.

As a guy at work found out, if you're in a commercial/goods vehicle, it's 50. 3 points for him. I didn't realise that, but it's in the highway code. But who has read that once they've passed their test? If your van has windows, i.e. minibus, then the limit is 60. Daft. :angry:

Guest Captain Daz

In response to Paul's comments (and all said without any anger):-

Speed does kill. The stats show that at 20mph around 2/10 kids die when hit, at 30mph it rises to around 4/10 and at 40mph it's 9/10.

The problem with speed is not getting there but stopping.

If you hit a fox at 100mph at 2am on a deserted motorway it will make a mess. Of you as well as the fox.

I'm off to the Nurburgring this Wednesday. There is no speed limit, everyone drives in the same direction and the road is track quality. The death rate is guessed at one per week. If you die in the ambulance or helicopter its recorded as a 'track injury'.

The restrictions are there to save lives. Some of it is frustrating but necessary. Other drivers are frustrating. If restrictions were lifted the carnage would be horrific.

Drive safely. Enjoy the road. Go mad on the track.

Cheers

Daren

Guest Vic & Wendy

:( Hi Guy's I've just got back into my office and read all the replies... Oooop's i was only drawing to people's attention the latest digital technology not endorsing high speed driving ( maybe poorly worded on my behalf ) :wacko:

Anyway i don't need speed camera's or alike to cerb my speed I've got an in-car speed regulator called Wendy my otherhalf, she's a driving instructor :lol: -_-

I personally wouldn't be able to live with myself if i killed anyone let alone a child through driving too fast .. imho

You all have a good day ......

Vic

Guest Juleswale

I agree that we should drive carefully in urban areas, but the 70mph limit was introduced is the last 60's. The goverment have found the technology to produce speed camera's, do they not think that the car manufactures may have found the technology to improve car safety!

We are paying huge amounts of money on fuel tax and road tax, They take up to £750,000 from ONE speed camera in TWO weeks, and the roads are in the worst condition they have ever been.

They didn't show an advert saying, "if we spent all the money we get from the roads, on roads and Public transport we could save 1,000 lives a year".

my 2p worth

Jules

Guest Dredd
The goverment have found the technology to produce speed camera's, do they not think that the car manufactures may have found the technology to improve car safety!

Trouble is , evolution hasn't caught up with the improvement in thinking time and reaction time ^_^

Trouble is , evolution hasn't caught up with the improvement in thinking time and reaction time 

I thought that too Dredd, But you were quicker to react than me, must be the training.

:lol: :D :lol: :D

Mitch

whilst i take your point dred, surely with modern cars containing traction control and abs and the like as well as better suspension, safer tyres, better brakes, there is a link between these devices and a reduction in their likelihood of crashing?

The drivers are only half of thr equation, and the car is the other. If one has improved, then surely thats on overall improvement? The drivers reaction times dont cancel out the increased safety of modern cars.

as for the whole speeding deabte, i thought i remembered reading somewhere that speed doesnt kill, but that "innapropriate speed does" making drivers more skillful would be a much better way to reduce crashes.

Paul