"silenced Within Road Legal Limits" ...

Guest christophire

Guest christophire

Hi there,

Does anyone know the what the road-legal limit is for exhaust noise?

I'm wanting to do a Hill Climb course later this year at Prescott, and the Hood needs to be "silenced within Road Legal Limits"!! Eeek.

I have heard 96dB on the grapevine. I should imagine mine is more than this though. :unsure:

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Guest chris brown

As the SVA manual states noise level must be 101db(A) or less then I would think this is the level you are looking for. But many tracks have levels below this 98db(A) is common and motor cross is going down to 94db(A) in two years time so watch other forms of motor sport having to do the same.

Guest craig cowley

when i took mine for the last mot the tester was not happy with the noise mine was making so looked up the regs in the mot testers manual which stated that it should not be louder than other cars of the same type. so he rang up the goverment help line and said he only sees one of my type of cars a year, mine!! so the goverment help line said pass it and advice me its noisy since had it sound checked and its at 100db at 4,500 rpm which will just let me onto castle coombe racetrack.

I didn't think there was a legal limit post SVA.

Mine has passed the last 2 years at my local MOT station and mine registers 111db according to Jims decibel meter.

Guess motorsport is out of the question, but setting off car alarms is fun.