Tracking

Guest Ant

Anyone out there got a good method of setting up their tracking? I've set up the camber angles on my 2B by using a spirit level and some shims, but I can't for the life of me think of a half decent method of setting up the tracking other than to look down the line of the car and go with a best guess.

Ideas?

Ant

You could put 2 pieces of straight wood against each wheel, hold them in place with a "toggy strap" then measure the distance between then both in front of, and behind the wheels. But it's a best to get them set up properly once you've finished altering things on the track rods.

Guest piddy

B) I set my tracking in a very similiar way.Place bricks or wood on the floor beside all four wheels to the height of the wheel rims then lay a long 4"x2" each side of the car in contact with both of the wheel rims on the back wheel you should now be able to compare the measurments between each side. And adjust accordingly.adjusting track rod ends.

I set mine like this three years ago and have no problem what so ever.

Piddy.

One tip on tracking when you use the two bits of supported wood.....

Measure the distance from the rear of the tyre to the front at the level of the wood.

Make sure the wood extends in front of the wheels by roughly the same amount.

Mark the wood at the front of the wheel, measure the previous distance forward again,

then check the difference in crossways measurement between the front & rear marks.

It means you don't have to grub around under the car & avoids

having to measure around engines, chassis etc.

Anything from parallel to 2mm toe in will get you safely on the road,

but get it checked/redone professionally soon after.

Cheers, Bob