Oil Type For Gearbox And Diff

Guest Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

Folks

I think the time has come to put the oil back in my gearbox and diff. Now, my memory might be playing tricks but I seem to remember reading somewhere, (it may have been on the previous discussion board or in a magazine), a recommendation to use automatic transmission fluid in the sierra gearbox and/or diff. I can't remember if this was to deal with a specific problem or whether it was just a general recommendation.

Does anyone have any recollection of this topic or first hand knowledge?

TIA

Phil Slater

I think this is the post you are thinking of Phil, posted by great scott on 14th April >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gearboxes thats my thing

ive been reconditioning them for 15 years so any info ring me daytime on Nottingham 0115 9821 942 and ask for scott

Boggie u say your box crunches upto 2nd, so i take it thats the only fault? or is it noisey aswell? also what oil u running in it? we dont recon many type 9's anymore but when we did we always used auto transmission fluid never hypoid it was just to thick and made them crunch especially when cold.

with regard to parts i'm pretty sure i can get everything for them still and if i was going to fully recon one i think i could keep the cost down to £200

any questions just ask

--------------------

Scott

Guest Phil Slater

Thanks for the replys.

That was the article/mailing I remember.

Sorry I haven't responded before now. My internet connection went down on Friday night and has needed a full format and reinstallation of software to get it back.

Bugger...so much time in the garage lost!!

Phil