Dvla And First Breakdown

Dave R

went to northmapton dvla today and half sorted the paperwork

no plates as yet as i will have to wait 2 days for the number to be issued :boohoo:

came back along a-45 got to a roundabout and the engine died

had to push it off the roandabout :gdit:

no vacuum in tank when i removed the filler and plenty of fuel

checked i had a spark, took the pumped fuel line off the carb, fuel in it but dare not crank the engine as no where to wedge it safely

put it back on, cranked the engine, and it started

came home ok

prior to this on the way to the sva retest it spluttered a couple of times when i floored it

didnt do that today

any ideas?????

Me too. Mine died after 800 miles. Buy a clear filter and put one just after the tank, then one just before the carb. Then check the one before the carb has plenty of fuel in it.

You may find (as i did) that it will run quite well for a while, then if you floor it it will eventually die, it's just the filter gradually restricting fuel flow.

Andy

Check the carb float chamber for bits of crap. These can get caught in your jets, especially on bumpy roads. Clean it out (and the jets) with a spray can based carb cleaner.

I had a similar problem and it was caused by swarf from the Robin Hood stainless tank - I put a translucent filter in the fuel line just before the carb once everything was cleared out to ensure it doesn't hapen again.

I had a similar problem that started with the motor cutting out once per outing. It then got worse so I presumed it was the pump as I had problems before.

Then it stopped totally luckily at home.

The problem was the fuel pump fuse in the fusebox not located correctly and over the period of 3 weeks had melted completely as it was making and breaking the connection.

Replaced fuse cost 10p

Cost of other replacement parts :-

Fuel cut off switch £5

Fuel pump £25

Fuel filters £15

Fuel rail pressure switch £5

Moral Check before you think!

mines a mechanical pump,

not got a fual filter fitted, i did have one but removed it before the sva as i didnt think he would like the lack of clips holding it down

just been up the scrappy and fetched a pump, dizzy and a couple of ignition blocks for 15 quid

time to go play

am gonna put the filter back in first and then try the crap in the carb and pump

well i have had a fiddle and found a filter in the carb that i didnt know i had :unsure: was clean anyways

anyways i removed the pump and that squirts fuel across the lawn as well as the one from the scrappy, but i have changed it as at some time it looks like its been clouted

only more possible thing i found is the return fuel pipe was cable tied to amongst other things the water pipe that comes to from the inlet manifold

i just wonder if the fuel was boiling in the return and the fuel pump was flooding the carb??

or airlocking and not allowing fuel in ?

which ever way till i get a reg number issued i wont be able to test theorys properly

:wacko:

will find out when the dvla get there fingers out :gdit:

the coil and the elcktrik amp thingummy are both in about the only area that get fresh air, and not warm stuff thats gone thru the rad

time will tell

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Quarks7

Hi Dave,

I hope you got your problem sorted mate.I see you mention N'pton DVLA and the A45.I live in Northampton and my 2b plus has only just been reg'd on 21/7/05.So I'm out playing in her most eves and weekends.So if you fancy a spin some time drop me a mail.

That way we've both got an extra pair of hands available to push the Bloody things home eh!!!...Regards Jez

why dont you come to the star an garter pub then on the 2nd sunday of the month

get a few down there from 11 ish onwards

anyways its on the road and sort of getting there

may be going with the sg7's to stondon this commin sunday if you are interested?