Emmisions,any Thoughts?

Guest mike

Anybody any ideas as to what emmisions test my westfield needs to pass,its registered on a Q in 1997 when it was originally fitted with the donor RS2000 motor, but now it has a 1997 suzuki 1200 bandit engine. Its not due for an mot for a couple of months but someone asked me the other day and i did'nt know what to say! i spoke to a couple of mot tester friends who also were'nt a 100% sure as they had'nt come accross it before. I assume it would be the donor car emmisions,but theres nothing on the log book relating to its age?

I suspect its last mot was'nt very good as when i got it the wipers were'nt wired up,no screen wash bottle and half the lights did'nt work, but managed to pass its mot a couple of months earlier!!!!

Mike

On a Q i think its visual smoke test only

I'm a Q, and my limits are specified on the v5c. Can't remember what they are, but i think they're standard for a non-cat vehicle.

I know what you mean about only working on the day mitch,but most of those things were'nt even wired up!!! and like i said it had never had a washer bottle!

I cant see anything on the v5 about emmisions limit?

Mike

Guest Tony Tank

Off the top of my head I think it's tested as a pre 1975 non cat visual . :p

But I will check with the bible tomorrow at work.

A Q reg is a funny animal and the book needs to be read when testing .

Tank ;)

If it's pre SVA, and 1997 was, it visible smoke only. If the tester quibles get him to check the MOT testers manual, there's a little bit at the bottom of the page that some of them miss!!

Pete

Guest chris brown

All Q registered cars are deemed for the purpose of the MOT test to have been manufactured prior to 1975 and are subject to Smoke test only. This even goes for a late model car which has been a personal import where the importer cannot prove the age of the vehicle so it has to be registered with a Q plate

:huh: i think youl find thats not right chris,it depends if its pre sva registered or after i believe,there was a link on here a while ago that was the page from the testers manual that made it all clear,it would be a good idea if we could find it and pin it say in the engine section so it can be seen

^_^ as taken from this years mot testers manual,it says

ITEM 2Emissions Testing Kit Cars and Amateur Built Vehicles first used on or after 1stAugust 1998(Classes III IV & VII)These vehicles are required to obtain Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) and will receive an emissionstest at SVA. All petrol and gas propelled kit cars or amateur built vehicles first used on or after 1stAugust 1998 (S Registration Onward) are subject to the BET test, followed if necessary by a ‘cattest’ to default values. The only exemption to this is where evidence is supplied by the presenter toconfirm a lesser test is required i.e. age of engine or the emission standard applied at SVA.Compression Ignition powered kit cars and amateur built vehicles will also be meter checked

:) so if your car is registered on the road prior to 1st august 1998 then it only gets a visual smoke test,it makes no difference whether a q or not,its"first used date"

• 4 weeks later...
Guest robinj66

Just a word of warning here - CHECK YOUR V5C in the "Special Notes" section. It lists your emission levels and it will be these figures taken into account at any MOT (assuming your car has anon Q plate and has been SVA'd)

The figures on mine were wrong and I'm having a hell of a job to get anyone to change them. The DVLA went all round the moon before deciding they have no powers and I'm now referred to VOSA.

The worry is that if it's not sorted I will have to fit a cat to get a 1985 carburetted engine through an MOT :wacko: