Q Reg

Guest stuartturbo

Guest stuartturbo

What are the implications of getting a Q Plate put on my car when I get to that Stage.

This is because I intend to put 2.0 16v vauxhall engine in a 2b. :D

Not worried about age related plate.

you could still "fit the Vauxhall engine into the Donor car" before you finally scrap it, ie send your SORN with the new engine number on the log book.

Putting this engine in the 2B throws up one particular problem, because of that "plough" tube under the engine bay, it would sit up a little too high for the bonnet. Now you could either cut a slot in the bonnet and scoop it to clear the front of the engine (this is what Andy Campbell has done) and use maybe a Manta sump, or cut out that tube and strengthen it another way.

You also will not be able to use a servo for the brakes, but that's no great problem, you can still use the sierra pedal box.

Go to it.

Guest Peejay

Jim's right about avoiding the dreaded 'Q' by simply registering the change before you build. If however that's too late then a brief summary follows:-

Resale value, usually lower, people dont like 'q's

Insurance can be higher, insurnace companies are people!!

You cant change the number to a personal plate

Everyone knows it a kit car!! :angry: :ph34r: :blink: :unsure:

I guess I'm not "most people". Q plate says to me - wow, cool, self built car. F or G reg says late 80's and aging rapidly. I'm be quite happy with a Q plate on my car, but I probably won't have because of the negative vibes which everyone else gives them.

Ant

Guest SteveL
When's the date for that?

It was reported in a small article in Autocar, and unfortunately I don't have the copy with the article anymore. It just said later this year.

Steve

Guest TerryBarry

Gentlemen,

From their website - the following quote

"The Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) has announced plans to offer for sale vehicle registration numbers containing the Q prefix.

Changes to DVLAs computer systems and to legislation are required before they can be released. Q registrations will be offered for sale under strict terms and conditions in order that their subsequent use will not compromise their purpose in any way.

Byron Roberts, DVLAs sale schemes marketing manager says We are responding to a demand from keepers of vehicles displaying Q marks who want the opportunity to choose a Q registration that is personal to them. There is much to do though before we are able to announce precise details and the preparatory work is unlikely to be completed until late 2003. In the meantime we would ask all those who might be interested, to remain patient and not make enquiries of the Agency or its network of Local Offices. We intend publicising their availability in good time before their release but potential customers can find out the latest position on our web site at www.dvla-som.co.uk"

I trust that didn't infringe anyone's copyright - not that it says much.

Terry