Exhaust Question?

Guest STEVE OXON

Guest STEVE OXON

hi all.

my 2b with stainless steel exhaust and silencer is now making pinging/tinkling noises when it gets hot/ i mean very hot!

we were discussing this at work and have reasoned that the perforated section inside is breaking up( proved when taken off and peered inside).

obvious replace internals as a fix.

1.has anybody cut theres open and packed with wadding.

2. if so did it make a difference.

3.will i still need ear plugs on longer journeys?

4.is it better to get a custom one instead.

5. i quite like the ''carbon look motorcycle ones'' will they take 2.0 litres of throbbing pinto on twin 45 dcoes????????

any ideas?

cheers steve

must admit my 2b exhaust is so loud, i wear an ear plug in my right ear,

do these exhausts need to be so loud,

i have driven caterhams with quieter exhausts,and just as much poke!

any one changed to something more neighbour friendly!!!!!

Steve this has been covered in the past but I can't find it! I had fitted the pipe and can shown below, it sounds great and inspite of being repacked the noise went up by about 10Db over the standard system. I think you will need a Y piece and 2 cans to KEEP THE NOISE DOWN, there is a member with this set up but can't remember who. Anyway Alan a quiet v8 would be boring :lol:

Peter

post-6-1127517521.jpg

I think Bill and Joey came across the exact same symptons you described. In their inimitable way they performed open can surgery and successfully resolved the problem. Sure it's on their site somewhere! ^_^

Yep, here it is!

Exhaust capers

It is obviously exactly the same fault that Ant suffered with his. More than enough evidence to attract some comment from the factory?? Does this only effect the stainless can? Mine is the twin pipe version, and so far so good. I wonder how many other stainless can owners are experiencing the same? :(

Guest STEVE OXON

yes i saw that eventually. must be only the stainless cans then.......

seems like an case of open can surgery/ modification coming up then.

thanks guys.......youre never alone with a rhocar query

steve

Guest Handlebars

I was fed up with the noise of my 3a. Especially after a trip to my parents. 600 miles. (Motorway & 4-speed box!) I now have a powerflow exhaust. Just under £180 made and fitted while-U-wait. The results are so much better. No need for an earplug. The standard can is cheap to the point of ridiculous. :huh: