Gearbox Vent & Speedo Drive Oil Seal

Guest Ant

Hi all,

I have oil leaking from the speedo drive on my type 9 5 speed gearbox. Having had oil in the gearbox for several months with the car just being rolled in and out of the garage there was no leaks. Having driven it fully warm it now leaks, but only at first. After standing for an hour or so it stops.

Obviously this could be the seal on the speedo drive take off. Does anyone have any experience with replacing one of these?

The alternative is that I've blocked off the gearbox vent when I cleaned up and painted the gearbox prior to fitting to the 2B. Is there a vent? If so where is it?

Cheers

Ant

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Ant,

There is a vent hole in the pressed steel top cover plate of the main gearbox casting.

In the centre a small dome shape bit sticks up with an approx 1mm hole in it.

The speedo drive comes out of the alloy extension housing.

On mine this seems to be vented where a ~50mm circular steel plate is fitted into a hole behind the gear shift. I would think that some venting maybe achieved around the gear stick.

Terry

I'll try and add a pic later

OK so the plate isn't circular but there is a vent in the bottom righthand corner - it is possibe to push a 1mm diameter wire into it.

Edited by TerryBarry

Hmmm. I reckon I've probably sealed it up because I gave the whole thing several thick coats of paint before fitting it in the 2B.

My first thought is to stick a drill through it near the top, but this will get swarf into the gears, so instead I reckon I'm going to remove the gear lever and put a hole in the mounting plate somewhere. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Has anyone else found this problem, or is it just me?

Ant

Guest Great Scott!!

Hi just thought i'dput my 2p's worth in

its pointless drilling any holes near the gearlever because the selector rail which the gearlever connects to has a seal on that rail which stops your gearlever hole from filling up with oil ;)

as terry has already stated the breather is a small hole on the rectangular lid on top of the box so if you have painted it the chances are its block so get yourself a safty pin and prod it until its clear this could be very tric ky in the 2B because it sits directly underneath your heater,fusebox or whatever..

you might find by just unblocking this hole all your oil leaks will disapear and no need to change the seal if you do have to change the seal use a small flat bladed screwdriver and dig into the seal and lever out then tap new one in with a deep socket of appropiate size.

hope thise helps :)

Thanks for the tip about the gear lever! I'll try to cheal the original holes, and failing that I may be able to remove the top cover without taking the whole box off the car.

On the seal issue - is it simply a smaller version of the propshaft seal? If so then getting the old one out will be somewhat difficult with the limited access available in my 2B setup.

Ant

Can someone tell me EXACTLY where abouts on the top plate of the gearbox the vent is. Going from the dome in the middle in which direction should I go?

I'm hoping to get my arm up the side of the gearbox from underneath the 2B and free it with a pin followed by a small drill bit.

Same goes for the vent in the blanking plate at the back. Where EXACTLY is it?

Ant

Guest daveg

Ant

Just looked at my gearbox, the hole is about 2mm towards the drivers side off centre of the dome. Hole is about 1.5mm diameter.

The small amount of paint covering your hole pushed into the gearbox will do no damage IMHO and will disolve in the oil anyway...

Dave

Guest TerryBarry

Ant,

Looking at the pic I attached the "vent" is at the bottom of the end cover (above the output shaft) at about halfway between 5 & 6 o'clock.

It may not be a design feature - just a poor fitting component but you can definitely push a 1mm pin in there.

The one on the top is bang in the middle of the dome.

Terry

Guest Great Scott!!
Ant,

Looking at the pic I attached the "vent" is at the bottom of the end cover (above the output shaft) at about halfway between 5 & 6 o'clock.

It may not be a design feature - just a poor fitting component but you can definitely push a 1mm pin in there.

The one on the top is bang in the middle of the dome.

Terry

terry

the oval tin plate is like that by design and the reason for the hole is if the oil does get past selector rail it drains out of that hole onto the road rather than filling up the gear lever hole.

oh and make sure the bottom of the gear stick has ample grease to stop the nylon piece on the box from wearing this a very common fault.

ant

if you can get the lid off the box you can drill a 2mm hole anywhere on that dome it doesnt matter aslong its on the dome its shielded from under neath to stop the oil being thrown out the top of the box.

Cheers all. I'm hoping for a grope in the garage tomorrow night!!! B)

Hopefully I can twist a pin or small drill in by hand. Failing that I need to buy myself a mini-drill and have a go with that. If I can't get at it from underneath then I'll take the gear lever surround panel off and have a go from there. I don't really want to strip the tunnel top behind the dash because there's a heater and a fusebox and wires in the way!

Thanks again for the replies. You lot make an excellent support network!

Ant